metal tech

General Vinnie Vincent Discussion
doublev

metal tech

Post by doublev »

I didn't care for the metal tech video. I don't know what happened but its not the vv playing I loved.

[youtube][/youtube]

it would be cool if he did something better.
shramiac

Re: metal tech

Post by shramiac »

Always thought it was rushed to get on the wave of instructional vids that were coming out at the time and to promote ASG! Some nice stuff (ie mind boggling!) on it though.
Promises made, crying in vain, all empty. Never accepting the blame and not letting go of the shame. A river of tears, as months turn to years, all wasted. On someone not willing to change.Now only a shadow remains! :(
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

He needs to do a new one!!!
Commander in chief - VVF Army
birnie

Post by birnie »

I think it was aimed at the really high standard players that really know their shit.
He doing the whole "If you invisage this and that" and using almost every note on the fret board.
I bought it as a fan who only had his 1st guitar and watched it just for pure entertainment purposes.
Didn't get a thing out of it, but did enjoy it.
It was a litle too serious, and was a relief to see him actually smile..and laugh at the end when he thanked Roger Hudgeson (?) for getting him through the video :lol:
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

It's wild that you guys brought this up again. I recently got my VHS copy out and have been trying some of the ideas out again.
Yes, The video does come off as a little too serious but I believe this was made at a time when Vinnie and the Invasion were done.
THINK: Porter Wagoner

:wink: I am the Undisputed Sex Symbol of the VVFF
NEWBEGINNINGS
Possio

Post by Possio »

I love it for the weirdness of it all.
The basic idea seems to be: as long as the harmonic structure is really static, like
( E5 and/or D5 and no 3ds etc etc..) you can color with whatever notes, harmonic structure
you like and let the lead be the color of the chord, as opposed to the other way around.
/O
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

Yes, That is what I get from it as well.

NEWBEGINNINGS
doublev

Post by doublev »

i like that, i just didn't think the playing was as enjoyable as I expected.
doublev

Post by doublev »

i most likely just didn't get it and missed the point.
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

I guess everything can't be magic when you're improvising. I'm sure had there been chord progressions for Vinnie to play over we would have heard OUR Vinnie. I believe the main point of the video was what Possio pointed out.

NEWBEGINNINGS
doublev

Post by doublev »

yes, i get you. it just feels a little unprepared. Maybe it was.
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

These videos are meant to teach us regular guys something, rather than just the artist playing for no reason. Of course they are using their own style.
Commander in chief - VVF Army
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

It is cool to see how Vinnie sees the fretboard and yes, the smile at the end just MAKES THE VIDEO BETTER.

That is probably why I only could watch spurts of it before. The joy doesn't exist in his facial expression until the end.

NEWBEGINNINGS
syncophile42

Post by syncophile42 »

I got it I when it came out and was really excited, I was with him up to and including the tune up and then he left me for dead. Totally beyond me and I couldn’t relate to most of it, awestruck but also a bit disappointed .

I liked seeing the ASG solos (even though they were mimed) and he chucked the Animal solo in which was cool – he looked like he was having fun at the end of that one too.

Got a bit more out of it over time but haven’t see it for ages, must dig it out.

Always remember the “series of flat fives” though, thought that was really cool.
"He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which." - Douglas Adams
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

Possio wrote:I love it for the weirdness of it all.
The basic idea seems to be: as long as the harmonic structure is really static, like
( E5 and/or D5 and no 3ds etc etc..) you can color with whatever notes, harmonic structure
you like and let the lead be the color of the chord, as opposed to the other way around.
/O
That's true! But the funny thing is that Vinnie knows his musc theory and often used "jazz" chords in his arrangements,especially in the ballads!
Promises made, crying in vain, all empty. Never accepting the blame and not letting go of the shame. A river of tears, as months turn to years, all wasted. On someone not willing to change.Now only a shadow remains! :(
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

I like how he was miming the extended /original "Ashes To Ashes" solo !!!

NEWBEGINNINGS
Brooklyn_Born

Post by Brooklyn_Born »

Vinnie is a very confident speaker on this video, I think he did a great job with it.. I also have Bruce Kulicks video from the late 80's which I dug too :D
Hey man, I am cool, I am the Breeze...

VVFF Rocks Hard!!!
This is not a Hate Forum Vinnie...Capisce!!?
Brooklyn has almost left the Building
Possio

Post by Possio »

Good points there too shramiac. Sure, Vinnie knows his "shit" just like so many
other (rock)fusion players do. It´s just really hard to pull those chord voices thru
with massive distortion and stuff.....It just turns to mush. Then if you do play clean
and let the chords ring clean, it´s no longer Hard Rock, it turns into something else...
So, my idea is that he did an interesting concept with it and still maintained the rock/metal sound.
Check out Shawn Lane for more of this, althoug, his music is very very far from Rocking in my opinion.
Vinnies stuff is cool! Thanks Vinnie!
birnie

Post by birnie »

....and i've said before, but i'll add it in here....
my favourite was the Spanish Bolero lick...yum yum pigs bum !
metatron

Post by metatron »

birnie wrote:....and i've said before, but i'll add it in here....
my favourite was the Spanish Bolero lick...yum yum pigs bum !
I love that one the most too...
Also because it reminds me of Bo Derek & really cause I love the scale.

[youtube][/youtube]
I got Jesus in my fax machine. I saw Ho Chi Minh down @ Burger King. I dated Vinnie Vincent as a Drag Queen. I still don't understand a f**kin' thing.
I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass and I'm all out of bubble gum.
metatron

Post by metatron »

Why did I have to do that :?: All my good work ruined :lol: :lol: :lol:
I got Jesus in my fax machine. I saw Ho Chi Minh down @ Burger King. I dated Vinnie Vincent as a Drag Queen. I still don't understand a f**kin' thing.
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

Bwwwaaaarrrrhahaha!!!! Nice one Dannii.

And thanks for mentioning Shawn Lane too Possio. His vids prove that Vinnie didn't speed up the tapes!! Scary, scary stuff! Though I find his music very hard to listen too. Still, love to have the natural music talent Shawn had, RIP!
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

metatron wrote:Image
Why did I have to do that :?: All my good work ruined :lol: :lol: :lol:

Not necessarily . :wink: :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

NEWBEGINNINGS
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

Possio wrote:Good points there too shramiac. Sure, Vinnie knows his "shit" just like so many
other (rock)fusion players do. It´s just really hard to pull those chord voices thru
with massive distortion and stuff.....It just turns to mush. Then if you do play clean
and let the chords ring clean, it´s no longer Hard Rock, it turns into something else...
So, my idea is that he did an interesting concept with it and still maintained the rock/metal sound.
Check out Shawn Lane for more of this, althoug, his music is very very far from Rocking in my opinion.
Vinnies stuff is cool! Thanks Vinnie!
Vinnie added a lot to Heavy music and wasn't credited because he did it masterfully . It was easy for the listener to digest. Just like his use of the pedal steel, it took me a few listens to realize that sneaky genius whipped that one out.

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9 ... u3ZSCP&t=1

NEWBEGINNINGS
metatron

Post by metatron »

[youtube][/youtube]