VVMG PICK UPS

News and information from 2018 onwards
doublev

VVMG PICK UPS

Post by doublev »

I know at NAMM they had Lynch pick ups but now it seems to say in the youtube description this
(THE VVMG CLASICS ARE FITTED WITH VINNIE'S PICKUP CHOICES RANGING FROM THE "EMG 81" TO THE"59 PAF")
Maybe VV did not approve the George Lynch pick ups.. it did seem weird to have a VV signature guitar with George Lynch signature pick ups.
doublev

Re: VVMG PICK UPS

Post by doublev »

i'd take the Duncan 59 PAF in bridge and Duncan Jazz in the neck position. But I am dreaming.
I would like to see a rendering at least of the doubleneck and bass. Would be cool for the catalog at least.
doublev

Post by doublev »

the bare knuckle pick ups would be good too http://www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk/mai ... =holydiver

http://www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk/mai ... p=the_mule

the sound clips are interesting.
doublev

Post by doublev »

whats the verdict on the EMG 81?
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

EMG 81 is a good pickup. So is the 85. I have some guitars with 81 in bridge and 85 in neck and 85 in bridge and 81 in neck.

Kirk Hammet has put the 81 in both positions and Steve Lukather is a big user of the 85 in the bridge.

I did have a lot more guitars with EMG's but changed them out to various Duncans. No particular reason other than I wanted to.
Commander in chief - VVF Army
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

The unspoken RULE :D was to have the '81 in the bridge and the'85 in the neck. PURE ROCK .
THINK: Porter Wagoner

:wink: I am the Undisputed Sex Symbol of the VVFF
NEWBEGINNINGS
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

I understand that he may not want to go to market with a screamin demon but I must say that I have 2 guitars outfitted with this pick up in the bridge position and I love them and think that they are great pick ups. 2 that come to mind are a Jackson Ltd Ed 1988 Soloist and a Dean Europeon Cadillac. 2 very different guitars but both sound great with this pick up.
doublev

Post by doublev »

Anyone like dimarzio?
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

I only have them in one guitar, Koa Charvel SD1. They came in it stock. Seem to suit the guitar fine so I left them in. Always wanted to try some others but never seem to get around to it.
Commander in chief - VVF Army
doublev

Post by doublev »

I know Lynch is not famous for his rhythm work but the sound he got on back for the attack was killer. Kiss of death is my favourite dokken tune.
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

I've always had better luck with Seymour Duncan than Dimarzio.

I actually ran into Seymour in the lobby of a Les Paul show in Cleveland a few years back. Nice guy.
One doesn't expect to run into guys like that. :shock: :shock: :shock:

NEWBEGINNINGS
Skwint

Post by Skwint »

poserboy71 wrote:I've always had better luck with Seymour Duncan than Dimarzio.

I actually ran into Seymour in the lobby of a Les Paul show in Cleveland a few years back. Nice guy.
One doesn't expect to run into guys like that. :shock: :shock: :shock:
No Running in the lobby - you could hurt someone :wink:
Cruisin' downtown, Shakin' her love, Is that babe talkin' to me, Felt my heart drop, Women can't stop, Girl has got me on my knees, Baby baby babe don't make me wonder, Won't you let me in, She said - see you later, Shot down, I'll be back again
doublev

Post by doublev »

Yes Rick, you could hurt someone.
ankh

Post by ankh »

i have a few Duncan installed in my guitsars.As far as i know thescreamin demon is basically a PAF with a different eq curve(just slightly).

About Di Marzio, i have a guitar with a super distortion, i find DiMarzio have a different attack, i prefer Duncan's.

A very good active pickup-and the guitar,especially the one pickup model,would really benefit from using it- would be the Shadow EQ5.It's active, can be splitted,it has an on board EQ,it can REALLY simulate 12 different famous pickups, and allows you to shape the sound in any way you want.It's not expensive and it can really broaden your sonic palette.
“Men are apt to be much more influenced by words than by the actual facts of the surrounding reality.” I.Pavlov

MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL:
http://www.youtube.com/user/mesolimbicn ... sults_main

Lemmy: "Can you hear this horrible sound coming out of my monitors?"
Monitor guy: "No."
Lemmy: "Neither can I.Turn me up!"
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

Apart from the the awful EMG Selects in my Washburn, all my guitars have DiMarzios! I put a Paf Pro in my Ibi Destroyer because the Ibi pickup squealed ALL THE TIME, so I got the same pick up that was in my Jems! I can't comment on Duncans. My Jems do sound kinda thin but the Destroyer sounds huge! Must be all that wood and the wood probably isn't light basswood either!Played the cheapest epiphone bolt on neck LP and it sounded bigger than my Jems!
Promises made, crying in vain, all empty. Never accepting the blame and not letting go of the shame. A river of tears, as months turn to years, all wasted. On someone not willing to change.Now only a shadow remains! :(
TJMonster

Post by TJMonster »

I think it's more the Washburn than the pickups....
If you want to talk Guitars, PM me!
doublev

Post by doublev »

Is your destroyer the dt50 . Someone told me about that model and I found one for 175 bucks and bought it . The best sound from an ibanez I heard. It's made from birch which is a wood found in high end drums but never in guitars. I never understood that because birch offers everything maple does but is more dynamic. The low ends are very defined but warm and it is unbelievable in for high ends. It's a mystery for me. Also beech wood is as good or better sounding than maple to me not quiet as a wide tone scope as birch however.
ankh

Post by ankh »

bich has benne used for guitars, one famous example is the ibanez custom agent:

beautiful guitar,i've owned it for about one month.Great, round highs, i didn't like the bottom end( the body is a half hollow and the top is arched)as much as the top end.Great pickups, loved the headstock, i would have liked to not have the fancy(fake) inlay behind the tailpiece
“Men are apt to be much more influenced by words than by the actual facts of the surrounding reality.” I.Pavlov

MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL:
http://www.youtube.com/user/mesolimbicn ... sults_main

Lemmy: "Can you hear this horrible sound coming out of my monitors?"
Monitor guy: "No."
Lemmy: "Neither can I.Turn me up!"
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

WOW, I'd have to make my pimp hand stronger to play that guitar!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

NEWBEGINNINGS
syncophile42

Post by syncophile42 »

Talking of wood do we know what wood(s) the VVMG is made from?
"He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which." - Douglas Adams
doublev

Post by doublev »

Vv mg maple.
doublev

Post by doublev »

Non of then are all birch bodies.
doublev

Post by doublev »

Cocobolo is my all time favourite sound.
syncophile42

Post by syncophile42 »

doublev wrote:Cocobolo is my all time favourite sound.
...and thanks to the wonders of the internet, I now know something about it!

Not heard of it before, do you get many guitars built from it, all custom jobs I presume?
"He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which." - Douglas Adams
metatron

Post by metatron »

http://blog.timesunion.com/pilotgirl/504/504/
Carl Thompson (CT for short) guitars, both made from exotic dark cocobolo wood. Cocobolo is an especially hard-wood grown in the lush rainforests of Central America and I actually got to see a Cocobolo tree while hiking in Panama’s protected Chagres National Park last year. My Panamanian guide explained that notable musicians like the dearly departed Jerry Garcia (The Grateful Dead) and existing Les Claypool (Primus) owned and own several highly-prized and expensive cocobolo guitars. Now, lead singer and bass player, Dave O’Connor of Starcode, can rightly take his place on that benchmark as well.Dave’s guitars took 2 years to make, a typical wait time for custom-work by 68-year old master craftsman Carl Thompson. He lives in Brooklyn and truly does fashion a one-of-a-kind creation in-between playing and practicing jazz music of his own. CT basses incorporate the finest wood, the best craftsmanship, details never seen before and personal details that hadn’t been used since the late 70′s says the CT website. Even if you don’t know how to play an instrument or recognize a Taylor from an Alvarez from a Gibson, the CT bass made of cocobolo will catch your attention instantly as will the sound.
Attachments
2144904069_8557c46489_o.jpg
2144904069_8557c46489_o.jpg (30.5 KiB) Viewed 4698 times
I got Jesus in my fax machine. I saw Ho Chi Minh down @ Burger King. I dated Vinnie Vincent as a Drag Queen. I still don't understand a f**kin' thing.
I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass and I'm all out of bubble gum.
doublev

Post by doublev »

Ritz guitars had a standard model cocobolo. It's expensive but the best wood I heard.
doublev

Post by doublev »

anyone used rio grande pick ups. i like the 'dirty harry' super 70s sound clip , the 'crunchbox' machete one is ok, but i am not into that style http://www.riograndepickups.com/sounds.htm
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

doublev wrote:Is your destroyer the dt50 . Someone told me about that model and I found one for 175 bucks and bought it . The best sound from an ibanez I heard. It's made from birch which is a wood found in high end drums but never in guitars. I never understood that because birch offers everything maple does but is more dynamic. The low ends are very defined but warm and it is unbelievable in for high ends. It's a mystery for me. Also beech wood is as good or better sounding than maple to me not quiet as a wide tone scope as birch however.
The guru Dino gets it right again! It's an 82 model and looks exactly like this;

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-1981-IBANEZ ... 19c292d4c2

Even the chips are almost the same! It does sound HUGE!!!!! Very uncomfortable to play though but handy to tune down or to a slightly off-key recording! Still, it only cost me $200 with a smelly hardcase at Cash Converters (large chain pawn shop on Oz) AND I had a guitar that was identical to the one Adrian Smith from Maiden used for 2 tours! Which is cool for a Maiden fan!
Promises made, crying in vain, all empty. Never accepting the blame and not letting go of the shame. A river of tears, as months turn to years, all wasted. On someone not willing to change.Now only a shadow remains! :(
doublev

Post by doublev »

uurrr
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

doublev wrote:uurrr

Not happy????? Did you sell yours or are you a Maiden fan and didn't get a red one??? Dave Murray had a sunburst one if that's any consolation!!!
doublev

Post by doublev »

uurrrrr
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

Both Dave and Adrian had that color as well.

NEWBEGINNINGS