Official NAMM 2011 reports thread

News and information from 2018 onwards
shramiac

Re: Official NAMM 2011 reports thread

Post by shramiac »

Who are all the dweebs in the photo holding the guitar??? Obviously excluding timstar78 if he's one of them!
Promises made, crying in vain, all empty. Never accepting the blame and not letting go of the shame. A river of tears, as months turn to years, all wasted. On someone not willing to change.Now only a shadow remains! :(
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

poserboy71 wrote: Image
Lorenzo Lamas,Andy Sandberg,Jack Black, Alan Alda, George "The Animal " Steele, and Don Knotts.
THINK: Porter Wagoner

:wink: I am the Undisputed Sex Symbol of the VVFF
NEWBEGINNINGS
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

Someone got out of bed on the right side today! Nicely done Rickyboy! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Promises made, crying in vain, all empty. Never accepting the blame and not letting go of the shame. A river of tears, as months turn to years, all wasted. On someone not willing to change.Now only a shadow remains! :(
doublev

Post by doublev »

I don't like the headstock at all from that shot.
doublev

Post by doublev »

I think its just the angle and light.
I would like to see the streamline pear version too but in vv colors.
I still would choose black flake and either silver or dark grey flake back. I am weird and also like brown . Maybe Cleveland browns colors with brown flake and Orange flake.
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

Now your just trying to suck up to the NorthEast Ohio members !!! :wink: :wink: :wink:

NEWBEGINNINGS
FREDDYB3

Post by FREDDYB3 »

A bizillion posts later : To Timstar, great job with the reports, pic and video's. Awesome job.
Thanks again for all the work you did to bring us this info
thattimeofyear87

Post by thattimeofyear87 »

shramiac wrote:Who are all the dweebs in the photo holding the guitar??? Obviously excluding timstar78 if he's one of them!
That's definitely not me....

When I was at the booth taking photos, someone tried to pick up the guitar and Les (Vinnie's father-in-law) told him not to take it off the stand. So I figured I wouldn't bother asking..., but it seems they bent that rule on Sunday. Only person I recognize in the photo is Tom Palecki (on the far far right).
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

That would have been my guess that Tom was doing the rabbit ears!
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

Tom seems like he has a good sense of humor.

NEWBEGINNINGS
doublev

Post by doublev »

Rick. You look like you have a good one too. Sense of humour wise. I heard a rumour anyway.
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

Leave my sexuality out of this !!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

NEWBEGINNINGS
doublev

Post by doublev »

Rabbit ears crack me up overtime. I just did them now and i am pissing myself.
doublev

Post by doublev »

the purple on the silver one is too dark, if they were trying to match the jackson. The jackson one was lighter and was more of a pinkier purple.
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

doublev wrote:Rabbit ears crack me up overtime. I just did them now and i am pissing myself.

There's a pill for that now! :P :P :P
doublev

Post by doublev »

yeah, these are the pills Image
doublev

Post by doublev »

comin' out of my shell guys!!!!!!!!!!!!
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's you isn't it Rick! You've hacked Dino's account again!!!!!
doublev

Post by doublev »

uuurrrrr
Shred4hire

Post by Shred4hire »

ill say this a 1000 times and its atotal fact....

ed roman will over charge you for what ever custom guitar you get. he dosnt even know how to string one up.

... how ever you will get a fantastic guitar he uses the best people possible most from other well known companys custom shops, the best parts and the highest quailty everything and he has no choice for the prices he charges .. that much is all true.. i have friends who have worked for him in the past... i have seen this work first hand , especialy a kramer baretta clone he built which was superb second to no one, playing it was dream no joke I am not a fan of him as a person or his attitude. but his product i cant bash there is no "junk" there at all.

and if i thought it sucked believe me id say so.
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

shramiac wrote:That would have been my guess that Tom was doing the rabbit ears!
And I obviously didn't mean that the talented Mr. Paleki is a dweeb either!!!
Shred4hire

Post by Shred4hire »

shramiac rawks
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

Nah! Just trying to be a nice guy.........................ie cover my ass!!!
metatron

Post by metatron »

shramiac wrote:
shramiac wrote:That would have been my guess that Tom was doing the rabbit ears!
And I obviously didn't mean that the talented Mr. Paleki is a dweeb either!!!
shramiac.... not on ziss side, not on zat side, but straight up the middle :lol: :lol: :lol:
I got Jesus in my fax machine. I saw Ho Chi Minh down @ Burger King. I dated Vinnie Vincent as a Drag Queen. I still don't understand a f**kin' thing.
I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass and I'm all out of bubble gum.
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

FREDDYB3 wrote:A bizillion posts later : To Timstar, great job with the reports, pic and video's. Awesome job.
Thanks again for all the work you did to bring us this info
Welcome home Frederik!
At last!
doublev

Post by doublev »

still say the headstock looks wrong in that NAMM picture.. anyone else think that? maybe the picture is squeezed out of shape a little.
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

I agree with you Dino. With the guitar being held by someone, that particular guitar makes the shadow headstock look washed out/hard to see and the regular headstock isn't as "pronounced" as I'd like it to be.

I think they both need to be a bit larger. I wonder what their dimensions are compared to Jackson, which is an excellent headstock for shape/size.
Commander in chief - VVF Army
teej

Post by teej »

poserboy71 wrote:From Timstar78 on Kissfaq:

timstar78
PostPosted: Jan 18, 11 1:22

I went to NAMM this past Saturday and thought I would chime in with my experience.

As a longtime Vinnie fan, I felt a rush of excitement when I turned the corner in the convention hall and saw the Invasion logo and Vinnie's guitars. It almost took me back to being a teenager and staring at all the VVI posters on my wall. All BS and personal attacks aside, I've always maintained my respect for Vinnie's musical contributions to KISS, and his overall talents as a musician and a songwriter. As KISS fans, we all have our favorites, our quirks, our preferences, and this is one of mine. Such is life.

I visited Vinnie's booth twice and spent more than an hour there, collectively. During my first visit, I mainly took pictures. I talked with Les, who is Vinnie's father-in-law, and asked a couple of questions. Vinnie's wife, Diane, and the luthier who built the guitars, Tom Palecki, were not there at that point, so I told him I'd come back. Meanwhile, I took the flyer and card they were handing out. To state the obvious, I believe the guitars are overpriced, but more on that later.

I came back near the end of the day and appropriately the S/T VVI album was playing in the background, via the small boom box on the table. I stayed for the duration of the album, so about 50 minutes. I introduced myself to Diane and chatted with her for at least a half an hour. I can only go by my impression and my experience in spending that time with her. She was very nice and cordial, and looked me in the eye when we spoke. I won't go into everything we chatted about, but here are a few highlights:

- The big question, I asked "How is Vinnie?" She said Vinnie is doing fine, and stressed that he is happy and healthy. She also mentioned they have been married now for 17 years.

- They live in Nashville, Tenn., and have a nice property.

- Vinnie still plays guitar and records, and she says he plays a lot of acoustic around the house.

- She referenced that Vinnie has written country music, and alluded to one of this songs possibly being placed with Kenny Chesney at some point.

- Yes, I asked, "What about new music?" Her answer was that she thinks there will be a Vinnie Vincent release this year. She also mentioned that Vinnie has been hard at work on this guitar project.

- When I brought up "KISSology II" and the fact that Gene and Paul didn't have nice things to say about Vinnie in the commentary, she mentioned something about a lawsuit regarding that DVD set. She also mentioned other lawsuits, including some things that have been settled out of court, but I didn't press this subject further.

- She is aware of the Internet rumor mill, including the fun ones, you know Vinnie being homeless, being a woman, etc. (For the latter, she looked down and showed me her ring, and said, "I should know. I am married to him.") She essentially laughed it all off, and chalked it up to an example of something fictitious being created by hateful people on message boards. By the look in her eyes, I also got the sense that she is hurt that people have said these things about her husband.

- In perhaps the most obvious statement category, she said, and I quote, Vinnie is a "very private person."

- We talked about "Lick It Up" and the magnitude of Vinnie's contributions on the album. She says that he has all of his demos from the album that verify that Vinnie was the principal writer on all of the tracks he co-wrote. (As an aside, I will just say that I have had a very interesting conversation with one producer named Michael James Jackson very recently. He too had some very interesting insights regarding the "Lick It Up" album.)

- She said Vinnie is very creative and a perfectionist, and also mentioned that he was an artist. (I did not ask if he draws or paints.)

As some of you know, I am the inquisitive type and I wanted to ask more questions, and maybe a difficult one or two. But it was not the right time or place to ask about the box set, or any other question including Vinnie and the word "why." Again, I can only sum up my experience as being positive, and though I don't know her, Diane Cusano was very friendly to me. I told her to make sure and tell Vinnie that he has a big fan who has a tremendous amount of respect for his talents, and still aims to play a passable version of his solo in "Ashes To Ashes" one day.

Moving on to Tom Palecki, I asked him if I could ask some questions about the guitars, to which he said, "Sure, what do you want to know?"

Here is a Q&A summary of our conversation:

Q: How long have these guitars been in the making?
A: Four years. It's based on a guitar I built for him in 1992, which was based on the design of his Carvin model.

Q: Which is the anniversary model?
A: The gold one.

Q: What kind of paint does it have?
A: Gold leaf.

Q: How many frets do the guitars have?
A: Three models have 22. The white model has 24.

Q: What kind of pickups?
A: They are outfitted with Seymour Duncan George Lynch Screamin' Demon pickups. With the exception of the pink model, which has a new EMG pickup.

Q: What is the third control knob for?
A: It is a rotary/phaser switch.

Q: What kind of tremolo system do the guitars have?
A: A Floyd Rose Pro, which Vinnie was adamant about having.

Q: Which color will the double-neck model come in?
A: Silver.

Q: How long do you estimate it takes to build one of these guitars?
A: About four-six months.

Q: Are there any prototypes?
A: These are the prototypes.

Q: What about the inlays?
A: They are mother of pearl. The pink model has abalone mother of pearl inlays, and the gold anniversary model has gold leaf mother of pearl.

Q: Has Vinnie played the guitars yet?
A: No, he's only seen pictures. (Note: I found this to be a bit odd. But Tom did point out that they had been in heavy contact, and that Vinnie has been very involved in the process, including sending him photos and diagrams. Obviously the guitars are prototypes, so my take is that Tom has been working on these for the past few months and is finishing these up to send them to Vinnie.)

On that note, Tom also shared that these particular guitars were not totally finished as some of the fretwork still needs touching up. It was a pleasant conversation, and we exchanged contact information. I hope to have a follow-up, more formal/detailed conversation with Tom in the future.

These guitars are very striking in person. They are slick looking and the colors really pop, especially the gold leaf, which was quite impressive. I wanted to pick one up and plug it in and give it a spin.

This is where my questions come in. Why was there no amplifier at the booth and no opportunity to test them out? You were allowed to touch them, but couldn't take them off their stands. That doesn't really equate if they were trying to drum up interest in selling them. And many exhibitors at NAMM will let you test out their products.

And where was Vinnie? Why didn't he represent his guitars at the booth?

What's the deal with the price? Personally, yes, I think they are overpriced. And as big of a fan as I am, I just couldn't rationalize paying $10 K for this guitar, at least not right now. Moreover, to put down that type of money -- again stating the obvious -- I'd have to sit down and play the guitar. (On paper, the guitar seems like it would play very nicely.) Something like this would be a collectible, yes, but not in the sense of traditional collectible guitars like classic Strats or Les Pauls. It's almost more of a novelty item, and personally I'd want to play it, not just put it on display.

Overall, I think it's great that Vinnie has resurfaced and hope that this somehow works out for him and that there will be some sort of new music on the way. But given Vinnie's activity -- or lack thereof -- for the past decade and a half, I can't blame anyone for being hesitant or doubtful about this. I know I have my own hesitations and doubts. Time will see how this all unfolds...

For me personally, even if Vinnie is never heard from again, this will always be a nice memory, as my experience with Diane and Tom was nothing but positive. To that end, I wish Vinnie the best with this venture. And to draw an applicable parallel, if Gene and Paul want to charge $1,000 for meet-and-greets, or Paul wants to charge $5 K for a broken signed guitar, or X artist wants to charge X price for a concert ticket, part of me says Vinnie is well within his right to charge whatever he wants to for his custom guitars, no matter if I or anyone else agree with it.

During my second visit, I took a bunch of more photos. I am not a professional photographer so many came out poorly, and I also shot some video (some of which is shaky, I guess because I felt rushed). One of my videos has gotten nearly 4,000 hits in just two days. Crazy...
finally some sanity in amongst the rabbid window licking fraternity on here .. reality bites huh ?
We will make monkies of these monkies

One time owner of the first ever Monster VVV, and one time owner of the Origional series Jackson VVV
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

Was that really called for ?

NEWBEGINNINGS
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

poserboy71 wrote:
poserboy71 wrote: Image
Lorenzo Lamas,Andy Sandberg,Jack Black, Alan Alda, George "The Animal " Steele, and Don Knotts.
LMAO, Tom Palecki as Don Knotts aka Barnie Fife
doublev

Post by doublev »

who's the guy in the middle who looks more like he owns something? I have seen that guy somewhere.
doublev

Post by doublev »

are there passes too out of focus for a close up?
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

That headstock looks like it allows the string to travel in a straight line and not have too much un-needed tension .

NEWBEGINNINGS
doublev

Post by doublev »

ok, so maybe thats the reason. It just looked a little cheap looking in that picture.. I am only going on that photo and nothing else.. let me know what you guys think?
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

It would look cooler in the hands of Vinnie. Can we get that photo posted ?

Oh wait, It doesn't exist. :( :( :(

NEWBEGINNINGS
doublev

Post by doublev »

this is from kissfaq (the link is direct from their website, nothing to do with me).. Not sure who the woman is?
doublev

Post by doublev »

the verdict is that its Diane.
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Hey guys, I just noticed something about the 25th Anniversary Gold Leaf VVMG. It's the WRONG COLOUR!

Gold is a 50th Anniversary colour, Silver is for 25. I can't believe I didn't notice before.

Good news for any punters interested in buying a 25th model. Silver is much cheaper so I can only assume that the Silver model would be maybe only 10K. Lucky break huh?
teej

Post by teej »

so where are all the pix and video being talked about ?????

One time owner of the first ever Monster VVV, and one time owner of the Origional series Jackson VVV
Streetbeat

Post by Streetbeat »

Youtube
teej

Post by teej »

cool .. finally found it .. have to say the guitars look great .. they really do .. would be interesting to play one against my Jackson .. they look well put together :)

doublev

Post by doublev »

teej , the man from delmonte .. he likes it!! wholly cats!!
[youtube][/youtube]
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

Teej , "The Man From Del Monte" has got to be your signature !!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Vic, How correct your are. That is hilarious. Just one more misstep in tradition. He could've just called the PINK/SILVER the 25th Anniversary and been done with it.
The Gold leaf,however, is beautiful and I give all the credit to Palecki for that masterpiece.

NEWBEGINNINGS
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

The gold is stunning, I wonder what a silver version would have looked like.
Streetbeat

Post by Streetbeat »

good point , a silver is a must !
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

The silver Anniversary model could be made with that diamond chrome plating process. I don't know how it affects the sound ,but it sure looks cool.

Ryan Roxie (Alice Cooper) recently had a guitar that had a finish like this. It looks like a metal mirror (for lack of a better description).

NEWBEGINNINGS
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

poserboy71 wrote:The silver Anniversary model could be made with that diamond chrome plating process. I don't know how it affects the sound ,but it sure looks cool.

Ryan Roxie (Alice Cooper) recently had a guitar that had a finish like this. It looks like a metal mirror (for lack of a better description).
I assume that's the same finish that Joe Satriani had back in 1990.
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

I believe so. Funny how I forgot Joe being that I've seen his guitars more.

NEWBEGINNINGS
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

I remember Joe saying how hard Ibanez said it was to paint!
TJMonster

Post by TJMonster »

They have cosmic chrome now which is basically a spray on mirror. $60 for 4 ounces of it.
If you want to talk Guitars, PM me!