pyro review on kissonline

News and information from 2018 onwards
shramiac

Re: pyro review on kissonline

Post by shramiac »

Anomoly is a turd!
Promises made, crying in vain, all empty. Never accepting the blame and not letting go of the shame. A river of tears, as months turn to years, all wasted. On someone not willing to change.Now only a shadow remains! :(
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

Genebaby wrote:I like Second Sighting, Tod's songs are great.

I also really like Todd's contributions. For that matter I like some of Ritchie Scarlet's contributions too and they both play circles around Ace technically. (Sorry) :-)
erg2

Post by erg2 »

shramiac wrote:Anomoly is a turd!
Slayer wrote:I also really like Todd's contributions. For that matter I like some of Ritchie Scarlet's contributions too and they both play circles around Ace technically. (Sorry) :-)
I wouldn't call Anomaly a turd. Second Sighting is a turd. Anomaly is just...boring, I guess. The songs do not mesh together well and the lead single with it's drop tuning just doesn't fit Frehley's style. I really like PAIN IN THE NECK and TOO MANY FACES. If he had followed in this vein he really WOULD'VE had an album that was a true companion to the KISS solo album. GENGIS KAHN is a great instrumental but SPACE BEAR and FRACTURED MIRROR 4 put me to sleep. The rest of the songs aren't bad, but they aren't great either.

I like Tod's songs during his time in the Comet. STRIKE YOUR DRUMS was a favorite for many years. I would've picked a Tod song before picking INTO THE NIGHT as a single. Richie would've been a better choice for keeping Ace's sound more hard-rock focused versus Tod's obvious leanings towards corporate rock.
Open your window and see the real world
To know what you've been missing
Come out of the shadows
Insecurity lies
In a heart afraid to listen
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

erg2 wrote:
shramiac wrote:Anomoly is a turd!
Slayer wrote:I also really like Todd's contributions. For that matter I like some of Ritchie Scarlet's contributions too and they both play circles around Ace technically. (Sorry) :-)
I wouldn't call Anomaly a turd. Second Sighting is a turd. Anomaly is just...boring, I guess. The songs do not mesh together well and the lead single with it's drop tuning just doesn't fit Frehley's style. I really like PAIN IN THE NECK and TOO MANY FACES. If he had followed in this vein he really WOULD'VE had an album that was a true companion to the KISS solo album. GENGIS KAHN is a great instrumental but SPACE BEAR and FRACTURED MIRROR 4 put me to sleep. The rest of the songs aren't bad, but they aren't great either.

I like Tod's songs during his time in the Comet. STRIKE YOUR DRUMS was a favorite for many years. I would've picked a Tod song before picking INTO THE NIGHT as a single. Richie would've been a better choice for keeping Ace's sound more hard-rock focused versus Tod's obvious leanings towards corporate rock.
Good post ERG2!
Good points illustrated
erg2

Post by erg2 »

Thank you sir.

What is your take on Second Sighting?
Come out of the shadows
Insecurity lies
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

erg2 wrote:Thank you sir.

What is your take on Second Sighting?
Well I don't think that 2nd Sighting Sucks. I think that Tod is a full blown artist meaning that he can sing well, write well and play guitar very well. The keyboards that Tod adds to this album make it sound bigger in my opinion.

I like the following songs on 2nd Sighting

Insane - This is a great Ace Song and entertaining video
Time Ain't Running Out - Good Tod Song
It's Over Now - Solid Tod Song
Loser in a Fight - I like this song and the duet vocals between Tod and Ace
Fallen Angel - Great song but Ace's solo hurts the the over all rating of the song
New Kind of Lover - Great singing and great solo from Tod
The Acorn is Spinning - Fun and unique and much less sloppiness to Ace's playing

After reviewing this album I think what I love most about 2nd Sighting is the very thing that some of you will hate about the album. 2nd Sighting is in fact a Tod Howarth Album that features contributions and playing by Ace Frehley. Tod's polish added alot to Ace's Albums in my opinion and with the exception of Ace playing a guitar solo like a 4 year old on his 1st Christmas Guitar the album sounds more professional and slick.

The 1st collaboration between Tod and Ace - Frehley's Comet was good too and did in fact have some more memorable songs from Ace "Into the Night" & "Rock Soldiers" and "Fractured Too" but Tod's contributions were very good on this album also "Breakout" - vocals, "Something Moved" - vocals, "Calling Out To You" - Vocals, Acoustic Guitar at 2:29 and 1st guitar solo are two parts that Ace isn't proficient enough to play and in fact Ace sounds terrible when he follows Tod in the second part of the solo on this song.

Dino will not agree but I think that Trouble Walkin is the weakest of these three albums because it was an Ace Frehley Solo Album. Of the 3 official Ace Frehley Solo Albums I would rate them in this order in my opinion:

Kiss - Ace Frehley
Anomoly
Trouble Walkin

If you wanted a rating on all these albums excluding the compilations like 12 Picks and Loaded Deck it would be:
Kiss - Ace Frehley
Frehley's Comet
2nd Sighting
Anomoly
Trouble Walkin

So there you go and let the debates begin :lol: :P :D
erg2

Post by erg2 »

It's good to know you agree his KISS solo is his best effort to date. It shows you are not crazy. (Well, not COMPLETELY.)

As I said, IMO the album has inconsistent sounds. From the songwriting to the recording to the mix.
FALLEN ANGEL: lots of potential, but too shrill in parts and I agree the solo doesn't work. I'd love to hear Tod record this one today!
NEW KIND OF LOVER: the lyrics are too generic and the vocals are too shrill on the chorus for me to approve. Another song I'd like to hear Tod re-write and re-record today because the chorus is killer!
LOSER IN A FIGHT: I just hate this song. The duet doesn't work IMO because Tod and Ace's voices are too different. They have such different effects. It just doesn't gel. And the lyrics sound like something a teenager would write.
DANCING WITH DANGER: (you forgot this one) I hate this song. First, the tempo is wrong causing the song to plod along and seem overly long. The vocals are out of Ace's range, causing him to sound lethargic and uninspired. Tod re-recorded this for an Ace Frehley tribute album and his version is outstanding!

I'd flop positions of Trouble Walking and 2nd Sighting. Trouble Walking has a ton of mediocre songwriting on it, but I think sonically it has a great sound and great mix. I think everyone is playing great. To me, this is what KISS should've sounded like from '87-'96. The problem is the material. Just poorly written.

Here is my list:

KISS -Ace Frehley Solo
Frehley's Comet - Live +1
Frehley's Comet - S/T
Ace Frehley -Trouble Walkin'
Ace Frehley - Greatest Hits Live
Ace Frehley - Anomaly
Ace Frehley -Loaded Deck
Frehley's Comet - Second Sighting
Ace Frehley - 12 Picks
Come out of the shadows
Insecurity lies
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

Good list. Have not listened for a long while but I.agree based in memory.
Bye Bye
erg2

Post by erg2 »

Many will probably question why I put LIVE +1 as second.

The ferocity at which these guys were playing on this album! RIP IT OUT live I must've played 500 times. The Anton drum solo! The studio track WORDS ARE NOT ENOUGH is a fun pop song. Too bad this album was treated by the record company as a throwaway.

Complaint #1: It needed a few more live tracks like INTO THE NIGHT, ROCK SOLDIERS and NEW YORK GROOVE.

Complaint #2: It needed another studio track, maybe ONE PLUS ONE. I think WORDS ARE NOT ENOUGH should have been on the first album and it should've been the lead single. It's not my favorite Comet song or Ace song, but I really like it and it's as close to a "radio hit" as the Comet could get. It would've fit nicely sonically and thematically with ONE PLUS ONE.
Come out of the shadows
Insecurity lies
ankh

Post by ankh »

Ace said he was against the idea of releasing a live EP,the record company decided otherwise.The presence of a Lydia Criss pic annoyed Peter too.While the first record was good- i like the first side very much, the second side has some clunkers and sounds too much like a comeback, as kerrang's review pointed out- i think SS was so below par.Apart from Tod songs-and some aren't great- Ace contribution was very poor , quality wise, both when it comes to songs and also vocals, a lacksluster pèerformance.I mean, "separate"?The instrumental was nice and it was a nice touch to add a mocked dialogue,but the whole record was wrong from start to finish,starting form the cover-back and front- to the inner cover to the songs.............Jamie Oldaker was just such a wrong choice, to think they got rid of Billy Ward :roll: :roll:
“Men are apt to be much more influenced by words than by the actual facts of the surrounding reality.” I.Pavlov

MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL:
http://www.youtube.com/user/mesolimbicn ... sults_main

Lemmy: "Can you hear this horrible sound coming out of my monitors?"
Monitor guy: "No."
Lemmy: "Neither can I.Turn me up!"
erg2

Post by erg2 »

On your point on the FREHLEY'S COMET S/T album, I don't know if I agree that the side 2 songs being clunkers. I absolutely LOVE the song DOLLS. LOVE ME RIGHT, CALLING TO YOU, STRANGER IN A STRANGE LAND...I enjoy them all. (I could take or leave FRACTURED TOO.) The biggest problem with the first album as I see it, is that a lot of the songs are good but indistinctive, especially if presented in "album" form. If you play LOVE ME RIGHT, it's a good song. If you play STRANGER IN A STRANGE LAND, it's a good song. If you play INTO THE NIGHT, it's a good song. But if you play them back-to-back they kind of blur together cuz they all have that keyboard metal, mid-tempo, sterile production feel to them. It needed more songs with unique identities like ROCK SOLDIERS, DOLLS and CALLING TO YOU to break things up.

On the Greatest Hits Live there is a version of SEPARATE from before the second album even came out and it is a helluva lot better than the studio version. Anton on drums, better production and the entire band working together would've gone a long way to improving SECOND SIGHTING, even with the mediocre writing.
Come out of the shadows
Insecurity lies
ankh

Post by ankh »

when ,after 5 years, you deliver the album tha t your fans and some other people were waiting for, you try to copme backl with a killer album.For me the side one is very,very good, the songs are great and there's an overall feeling of strenght and balance.The secodn side it's not bad, but it lacks strenght,in my opinion.Apart form calling to you the secodn are good but not great, unless you want to just have the attitude of "hey,i'm Ace, you like me no matter what".For me the second side is nice but lacks the punch of the first side and the killer tune is missing.It would have been nice to put one of the songs from the original demo,like "animal".if the idea was to have a rockier side and a more commercial, A.O.R. side, then the songs recorded, as cute as they were-like "dolls-" weren't as catchy.Again,in my opinion.I think some of the songs tha t didn't make it on the record were better suited than "love me right"-tha t doesn't sound like an opener- or "stranger.........".The record for me lacks consistency in the second side.
“Men are apt to be much more influenced by words than by the actual facts of the surrounding reality.” I.Pavlov

MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL:

doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

I felt Trouble Walkin' was closer to the real Ace sound of the 70s than Frehleys Comet were but I did like a lot of the first Comet record.. now I look back I am surprised Ace went with some of the melodic stuff. .i think he wanted a chart hit.
Bye Bye
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

Too much fun :o)

It is pretty interesting to read these different opinions and perspectives. ERG2 from a drum perspective and Ankh from an artistic guitar perspective and Dino from both drum and guitar perspectives.

I for one enjoy reading the different viewpoints and I would say that my opinions are driven from a guitar / melodic rock point of view.
erg2

Post by erg2 »

ankh wrote:It would have been nice to put one of the songs from the original demo,like "animal".if the idea was to have a rockier side and a more commercial, A.O.R. side, then the songs recorded, as cute as they were-like "dolls-" weren't as catchy.Again,in my opinion.I think some of the songs tha t didn't make it on the record were better suited than "love me right"-tha t doesn't sound like an opener- or "stranger........."....

I agree with you. Having heard a lot of the Ace demos years later, it's clear that he had stronger songs than what ended up on that first album. Rock songs that had nice pop hooks: Animal, One Plus One, Words Are Not Enough, Catch Me When I Fall. Like I said in the previous post, he went for more of a mid-tempo, keyboard and (as you put it) almost AOR quality.

I wonder if he made the decision to steer the album that way or if the record company thought his audience were getting older and pushed him for that kind of sound?

Slayer wrote:Too much fun :o)

It is pretty interesting to read these different opinions and perspectives. ERG2 from a drum perspective and Ankh from an artistic guitar perspective and Dino from both drum and guitar perspectives.

I for one enjoy reading the different viewpoints and I would say that my opinions are driven from a guitar / melodic rock point of view.

THIS is why I keep coming to a forum about a guy that hasn't done anything in 20 years, ripped me off and hates me for it. There is a group of people that want to genuinely discuss this music we love, share their opinions and not have to worry about flame-wars with assholes that only want to get their kicks by getting the other members riled up and arguing.
Come out of the shadows
Insecurity lies
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

The girl can't dance was awesome too.. like an 80s hall & oates tune.
Bye Bye
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

ERG2 wrote

THIS is why I keep coming to a forum about a guy that hasn't done anything in 20 years, ripped me off and hates me for it. There is a group of people that want to genuinely discuss this music we love, share their opinions and not have to worry about flame-wars with assholes that only want to get their kicks by getting the other members riled up and arguing.

Exactly, we don't have to agree on everything but we should all respect another point of view from another perspective. I think that you may be aware of this but the son of a bitch took $120 from my wife too and like you said hates OUR guts because HE stole OUR money. What a fucking dynamic - He steals from us and hates us because he stole from us. Seriously fucking mentally disturbed subspecies of a human being!
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

You still love him though Kev! :)
Promises made, crying in vain, all empty. Never accepting the blame and not letting go of the shame. A river of tears, as months turn to years, all wasted. On someone not willing to change.Now only a shadow remains! :(
erg2

Post by erg2 »

doublev2 wrote:The girl can't dance was awesome too.. like an 80s hall & oates tune.
I dig that song!

I think he was more following the Steve Miller path at that point. Steve Miller had gone from blues/rock/pop to an almost experimental pop sound with Abbra Caddabbra. I think if Ace had been able to release an album at this point, it would've been music like THE GIRL CAN'T DANCE and it could've been a minor hit!
Come out of the shadows
Insecurity lies
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

i was thinking it was kind of like this but now i listen it isn't
[youtube][/youtube]
Bye Bye
erg2

Post by erg2 »

I love that Ace was thinking outside the "hard rock" and "heavy metal" box. Some of the songs I enjoy most on the Anomaly album are the more...unusual...choices, like IT'S A GREAT LIFE and CHANGE THE WORLD. (I was also digging A LITTLE BELOW THE ANGELS until that horrific spoken word section. His adult daughter doing the little girl voice pulls me right out of the song.) I'm not saying they are his best works or best songs on the album. I'm saying that I think they are creatively more successful than most of the hard rock tracks on the album because he takes little risk on those...sticks to his formula, which makes me feel like I've heard it many times before.

Along with Vinnie, I always wonder what Ace could've accomplished musically if he hadn't had the monkey on his back...and had signed to a better label...and hadn't had that contract with KISS that (IMO only) kept him from putting out his first solo record for multiple years.
Come out of the shadows
Insecurity lies
BigEd

Post by BigEd »

While Ace was held back by contract it's the only cash he really had coming in at that point...He was close to being broke and the power company had slapped a lien on his Wilton, Connecticut house/recording studio and American Express also slapped a lien on him too....He was between a rock and a hard place !
PinkWiz

Post by PinkWiz »

I'm thinkin that Ace was also just lazy after he left Kiss in the 80's and that's why his first solo album wasn't released til '87. Heck, Peter was preparing HIS first solo album while still a member of Kiss in '80. Even Vinnie and Mark beat Ace to the punch solo album-wise, both releasing theirs in '86!

Post by 1031 »

The second album with megaforce and demo was from what I understand was a disaster in the studio Ace was a mess and they just wanted to get it done and over with. His whole time at megaforce Ace was trashed, so I dont think there was a lot of deep thought in to anything other than, what the hell did we get in to .
Guitars good, drugs booze.. bad

The worlds best qoute ever
"take your Massengill-soaked vibrator from your wretched gutter clam"
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

Wow I didn't realize ace was having problems during the frehleys comet.
I remember the headbangers ball interview with downtown Julie Brown well. Have not seen it since it was first aired.
Bye Bye
erg2

Post by erg2 »

I know, but there are plenty of rock stars with booze and drug problems. Record companies should be very used to it. Even more so back in the 80s.

This is just a guess, but I think Ace wasn't going to release anything until he was sure Gene & Paul wouldn't get a cut of it. Is it just a coincidence that it wasn't released until the year the agreement ended?

I also think he was clearly always an addict, but that he didn't turn into a complete nightmare until the first album failed to really sell, the tour didn't do big business and the downturn of incoming funds. After that you start hearing the stories of really being trashed all the time. John and Tod getting sick of his crap. (And remember, John loved Ace's music so much before the first album was released that he thought they were headed for the BIG TIME!) Then Ace tried to pull it together for TROUBLE WALKING and when that failed everything really started going downhill.

Then he cleans up to get back into KISS and...guess what...once Gene and Paul start their old crap, Ace goes off the wagon again.

I just think Ace dealt with disappointment with booze and drugs.
Come out of the shadows
Insecurity lies
BigEd

Post by BigEd »

Even thou Ace wasn't in KISS, Gene & Paul had to pay Ace 1/4 of whatever they made....Ace would have had to pay 1/2 back to them if he had released any album while still under contract. Ace was partying hard back in those days when the "Comet" took flight...I should know, I saw his "Betty" with my own eyes !!!
ankh

Post by ankh »

Ace was still linked to the band-contract wise- even if he was intrumental in having that contract broken much to the dismay of Gene,Polygram got finally the chance to reork the terms in a way more favorable to them after losing tons of money-but he did got a deal in 1985 with Bronze records.Unfortunately, That great label was ruined by the new dierector, the son of the founder, and went bankrupt.Thye owned money to Ace.
After that, his reputation was preventing also to find a label.He wanted John waite to sing for his band but was turned down.He got the deal with megaforce thanks to eddie trunk.The first comet album went near the gold status both in USA and canada, but ace was still caught up in rock and roll lifestyle, the record comapny ahndn't enough power to promote it mopre and Ace himsefl made his best to spoil things up, from turning down that tour with kiss on the HITS tour to the famous beer bottles fiasco that closed his touring band career during the trouble wlaking tour.The record "12 picks" came out becasue emgaforce could make soem cash and also John Della Chiesa-aka John Reagan- could recoup some money.Ace owed him 70k.The idea behind the whole comet affair was also John's baby, and thye both knew tha t if kiss was asking ace back they could get a lot of money.But unfrotunately, John invested on a unreliable person.

MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL:

erg2

Post by erg2 »

BigEd & Ankh -
Yeah, Ace's wife must've been a saint to put up with his shenanigans.
He also made a HUGE mistake signing to Megaforce.
Even though the first Comet album did almost go gold...it didn't. And Ace was allegedly spending money like it was still the heydays of KISS...but he was not pulling in anywhere near that much cash.

I just wish Ace's book would've had more details about the Comet years. This is the first I've heard about BRONZE RECORDS...even though I knew he had been in talks with a few labels before Megaforce.
Come out of the shadows
Insecurity lies
BigEd

Post by BigEd »

I don't know if I would call Jeanette a Saint but it's clear that she loved Ace for who he was and before he became famous...She was a "BIG" party girl and eventually rode the coattails of being A Rockstar's wife...I'm sure she had some difficult times dealing with Ace's womanizing and dissapearing for days on his binges but the money and lifestyle was there for someone who could only boil water....
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

Meeeeeeoooowwww!!!! :P :P :P
KissMyAss

Post by KissMyAss »

I like the album trouble walking alot. I thought it was his best work since Frehley's comet.
Live life as though it is the third law; "to every action there is an equal and opposite reaction." Rules apply whether we are cognizant of them or oblivious.
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

i like trouble walkin better than Frehley's Comet. I only liked 3 or 4 Frehley's Comet tunes.
Bye Bye
MatthewF

Post by MatthewF »

Someone mentioned a turd and so far no posts of loafs in the porcelain goddess on this page anyways.
Making progress with our coprophilia perhaps?
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

I think it's a healthy sign!
Commander in chief - VVF Army
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

I can if you want? LMFAO :-)
Warrior

Post by Warrior »

Maybe when they are all 70
Nothing would surprise me and then we will be thanking God for the makeup !.