Back from the dead!!

Help, questions, comments
Genebaby
Site Admin

Back from the dead!!

Post by Genebaby »

So last week I was umming and ahhing about changing hosts. Not changing was the easy option, but more $$$ this time. It came down to the wire and I had to change and now I know more about what that entails.

It should be super easy but everytime I exported the database that runs the VVF it didn't work. So I had to rely on my old host exporting it, which took them DAYS to do, and they finally actioned it while I was on the road to what would have been seeing KISS in Sydney.

Their export looked better to my new host, and it was imported successfully last night, but I had to work out the last few configuration connections, which I just did when I got home.

So if I change again I'll give more of a heads up, but I was hoping for a MUCH shorter window of downtime. The big issue is the database. If I can't export it then I am reliant on the host, who can do it successfully at least.

Until the next big outtage! :mrgreen:

Vic
Commander in chief - VVF Army
birnie

Re: Back from the dead!!

Post by birnie »

Well done Mr Vic ! :)
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

Welcome back Vic
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Thanks guys. There is an update to the board software to do, they are every few months or so, but I'll give it a bit of a rest for now and let it settle, ha ha.
LUDIVINE

Post by LUDIVINE »

Welcome back !! I was worried when I saw that the forum was down
Les sanglots longs des violons de l'automne blessent mon coeur d'une langueur monotone. Tout suffocant et blême, quand sonne l'heure, je me souviens des jours anciens et je pleure.
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Never fear, if the forum is down, there is a technical reason and I'll be working to get it fixed.
tukoztukoz

Post by tukoztukoz »

Thanks, I was thinking Vinnie was responsible for that interruption!
say two sky two say fare
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

It's been over 9 years now. Vinnie will not be the reason behind any down time, it will be a hosting issue.

I'm with these new guys for 3 years, so hopefully they are solid during that time.
geepee16

Post by geepee16 »

So, holy crap, I am relieved this is back. I did not see any information anywhere about what had happened here. In case you're wondering, a variety of messages appeared over the days this was down. This was from day 2, I believe.
Attachments
vv forum 11 24 down.jpg
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Yes, before the full board software was uploaded, you could see the directories, then when it was ready it was looking for the database, which gave a different screen, until the database was sorted out.

Don't worry, I was watching! Good times!
DarrenD

Post by DarrenD »

It takes a lot of work and money to keep forums running. A lot of forums just called it quits and lost lots of information. One example is the old Kramer forum. There was over a decade of specific detailed information that is lost forever. Glad to see this one still running.

I was surprised to see the old VV Washburn guitar thread still alive. I could re-read posts from long time ago and remember things of that time I've totally forgotten (but I knew lots about at one point).
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Yeah, so much is always forgotten over time.

Like, I've already forgotten what I learned when I changed hosts last year! So that will be another fun experience the next time I have to do it. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: