How to post Youtube videos in threads

Help, questions, comments
Genebaby
Site Admin

How to post Youtube videos in threads

Post by Genebaby »

**UPDATE**

With some updates to the board software it looks like the dream of just posting the Youtube link will now show the video without any further action. How awesome is that?

You do need to put in the http:// at the start, so just copy and paste the whole address and it should be fine.

So ignore the below, it's no longer required.

Hopefully it also works with mobile links. If it does, then I'll update again.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's a tutorial on how to post those pesky Youtube videos so they come up nice in your thread:

The trick with YouTube links is to only have the bare minimum part of the link.

Sometimes YouTube links look like this:
youtube.com/watch?v=-r-UtIffUnw&feature=feedrec_grec_index
Everything after and including the "&" needs to be removed. All we need are the numbers and letters after the "=" sign that is really part of the link.

So it should look always like this:
Also, sometimes the text of your link does this and it won't work until you fix it and put all of it on the one line:
[youtube]
[/youtube]
There is also the recent problem of Youtube using secure http, so if the URL is otherwise fine and looks like this:
What you need to do is edit and remove the "s" in https. Forum software all over needs to sort this out, but until then, it needs to be done manually.

A good idea when posting tricky things is to use the preview button and see how it all looks.

Once posted there is also sometime to edit as well.

Once done correctly it will appear like this:

[youtube][/youtube]

In addition, if you try to use a mobile link then it won't work either, you need to full web link. To fix those I do a new search on the PC for the same video and then use that link to update the mobile one.
Commander in chief - VVF Army
poserboy71

Re: How to post Youtube videos in threads

Post by poserboy71 »

Thanks Vic !!! I needed this .
THINK: Porter Wagoner

:wink: I am the Undisputed Sex Symbol of the VVFF
NEWBEGINNINGS
RipRokken

Post by RipRokken »

Vic, has this changed with the new update? I noticed the old video button is gone, and I see a “BBvideo” button. All good, just not sure how to post them correctly.

Thanks!
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

It got broken a few hours ago but it's fixed now.

I will do some more playing around and then update this. I've always wanted video posting to be easy and a MUCH older version of this software used to just work, if you put in a video link it converted it, which would be the ideal solution.
Commander in chief - VVF Army