Studio Decorations

Non Vinnie discussion
Kuron

Studio Decorations

Post by Kuron »

I have been slowly buying all kinds of decorations for my studio. It will be 12 foot by 40 foot and have 8 foot high walls. So there is a lot of wall space.

The majority of the music stuff will be Ronnie McDowell artwork (he is an awesome painter), photos and even a cool banner.

For my Vinnie section, I ordered this banner/wall hanging a couple of months ago. I just ordered the mini Vinnie guitar today. I have wanted a mini Vinnie guitar for a long time. This one has a major mistake, but I like it in spite of the mistake.

Vinnie who?
Kuron

Re: Studio Decorations

Post by Kuron »

I just ordered this banner/wall hanging.

Vinnie who?
AnkhWarrior

Post by AnkhWarrior »

Kuron wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:18 am I just ordered this banner/wall hanging.

:D awesome! Love V.H..
Kuron

Post by Kuron »

AnkhWarrior wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:45 am :D awesome! Love V.H..
:mrgreen:
Then I must share this body I bought a couple of months ago from Stratosphere. They have good deals on new genuine parts. I won't build it to official specs. I plan to put a rosewood fretboard on it, and I have not decided about the bridge/tremolo and pickup.

Vinnie who?
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Cool VH body, I never knew you could get them that easily.

I've got a bunch of regular paper type posters in my way messy studio. Yours is going to look really good.

What is the mistake?
Commander in chief - VVF Army
Kuron

Post by Kuron »

Genebaby wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:37 pm Cool VH body, I never knew you could get them that easily.
They are official/genuine. I am not sure if they are factory seconds or how they get them. But you can get all kinds of nice Fender stuff (and some Gibson) at Stratosphere. The Gibson stuff is rarer there, as the necks are usually through the body and do not break down into "parts". I wanted one of these about a year ago when I first saw them, but I did not have the $$ and they went quick. When I saw them get more in, I had to snag one. Thankfully, they had this one for $399 and I managed to snag one of the two they had at this price. The rest had more hardware and were $499 or more. The nice thing at Stratosphere, is the picture you see if the actual one you get, so you can pick out which one you want if there are multiples in stock.

This body is perfect, no blemishes. The 2018 models of this design are different and are the 5150s (which I do not like). I am not sure if the older design is discontinued or not, but I NEVER thought I was going to get one of the older ones now that the 5150s were out. This was like a dream come true for me.

I may not put a trem on it and if I do, I may not do a Floyd. Still deciding between a single coil and a humbucker. But, if it is a humbucker, it will definitely be a Rail Hammer. Out of 30+ guitars the ONLY one currently with a Floyd is the one in my avatar.
Genebaby wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:37 pmI've got a bunch of regular paper type posters in my way messy studio. Yours is going to look really good.
I have a bunch of super hero paper posters to go up as well. :)
Genebaby wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:37 pmWhat is the mistake?
You are a guitar player, right? Look at the picture of the front of the mini VV guitar as a guitar player and not as a fan. If you can't spot it, the answer is below so as not to spoil it for everybody.
► Show Spoiler
Vinnie who?
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Three knobs is normal for a VVV, the third is a boost.

He certainly wasn't going for the VH vibe with his own model guitar, lol.

Just about all my guitars have a Floyd, I really like them.
Kuron

Post by Kuron »

Genebaby wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:13 pm Three knobs is normal for a VVV, the third is a boost.
Ahh that explains it. I'm a dummy. :lol:

Floyds are nice, but each one of my guitars is set up a bit differently, especially the pickups. I generally leave nothing stock, except for the Kramer Pacer in my avatar and my one Washburn V of which only 1,000 were made. Everything else at least has the pickups changed, and often much more.

The sad part of my studio is, I almost had the building back in April. Earlier in the year I had done some programming work for a friend, and in turn, he was actually buying the 12'x40' shed I was going to turn into a studio. Unfortunately, when they went to deliver it, they did not wait until the ground dried (it had rained almost every day for two months), and even though I showed them where I wanted it placed (indicated by the dark red line), they did not put it there and because they had it pointing downhill like it was, they could not level it due to the wet ground and their boss made them take it back. It sucks, as this was custom specced and not a shed off the lot. Them taking it back ticked my friend off and he backed out on the deal. So, I am still saving up for one. So close, so close and yet so far.

Vinnie who?
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

My eyes adored you...
THINK: Porter Wagoner

:wink: I am the Undisputed Sex Symbol of the VVFF
NEWBEGINNINGS
Kuron

Post by Kuron »

poserboy71 wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:03 pm My eyes adored you...
Touché. You got the reference. ^5's :mrgreen:
Vinnie who?
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

That sucks about your studio man. Your friend should not pull out like that.

I've changed a lot of pickups when it's needed but a few of my guitars are stock.

I have more than ever without a Floyd, and only singles, because I got two guitars for free last year, a real Fender and a copy. Wouldn't use them live so I would not have bought them, but free is free. Though I did have to buy a case for the copy one.
Kuron

Post by Kuron »

It definitely sucked and I had to change a LOT of plans, which has caused a financial setback. But, life goes on...

I love working on guitars. I kinda see each guitar as an art project, and each guitar has a theme. The one below, is the one I had just started on when I moved. I had a luthier in Vietnam make it. It was going to be my "Peace and Love" guitar and it was going to be designed as a tribute to Jimi as well. Everything, including the neck is going to be switched out. However, after being here in Tennessee for almost three years and rediscovering my love for classic country music, this is going to be my "country" guitar (I have not decided on a proper name yet). Also, soft blue light will radiate out from behind the pickups. Nice to kick the lights on as you go into the solo.

The guitar below that one, is a body I picked up a year ago and it will be my new "Peace and Love" Jimi tribute guitar. Again, everything on this new one will be changed.

Vinnie who?
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Up until I got those two Fendery guitars for free last year the only guitar I had with a vintage trem and three singles was a Charvel, and even now that Fender Strat I got is an Elite and has a special/different bridge on it.

My collection is made up of mostly Charvels and Jacksons.
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

A free Fender Elite Stratocaster...DAMN !!!!
I am still on the lookout for a decent one at a decent price.
My buddy has a mint Elite and wants money to match that.
Nope.

NEWBEGINNINGS
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Yes, a 1984 Strat, bought brand new by a family friend in 85, for good $$$, but he wanted me to have it as he had not touched it in a long time. I gave it a good clean up and setup. Pretty cool, but too much change for the Fender crowd. I do like the pickup switches, and the flatter fretboard with bigger frets is very Charvel, which is also cool to me. Mine has the ridiculous locking nut on it, which seemed to be optional.

The Strat clone I got is very vintage. Small frets, small radius with clear all over the board, so it has the old Strat vibe and the Elite has the 80's, what are we doing vibe, lol....
Kuron

Post by Kuron »

I had a killer Charvel acoustic in the 90s. One of the best playing acoustics I ever owned. I didn't really get into single coils until the late 90s. I have grown to love the sound. But, humbuckers definitely outnumber the single coils. No such thing as too many guitars. I have enough that they should more than pay for my funeral expenses, so in a way my guitars are my life insurance policy. :mrgreen:

Good News/Bad News on the studio front. Not any closer in getting a freestanding studio built. Also, my income will be dropping in half very soon. I have been the caregiver to somebody who is disabled since '99 and my own health issues have gotten to the point where I can't do this anymore. So, this means the small bedroom will be freed up and I can try and shuffle stuff around into the small bedroom and try and get some gear unpacked in the back bedroom and get a smaller than planned on studio set up in the house as "Studio A". Eventually, I will get the small bedroom sorted, and it will be a "Studio B".

I will not have the space to build guitars for folks, but I will be able to do some guitar repairs. I will not be able to do audio & video production for others, but I will finally be able to pick up an axe and work on my own stuff. It is the best I can do until I can get a full studio built, but it is more than I have been able to do in the almost three years I have been here. :)
Vinnie who?
Kuron

Post by Kuron »

BTW, you are very lucky to get free guitars. I have never managed that. The best I had is a friend give me a killer deal.
Vinnie who?
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

poserboy71 wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:34 am A free Fender Elite Stratocaster...DAMN !!!!
I am still on the lookout for a decent one at a decent price.
My buddy has a mint Elite and wants money to match that.
Nope.
My bestie's step father has one that is as mint as. Her bro has a Charvel 750XL too, that I didn't buy from a local shop as I went with a JEM...no regrets on buying the Ibz though. No idea what the 750 is like...he probably sold it for grass! :(
Promises made, crying in vain, all empty. Never accepting the blame and not letting go of the shame. A river of tears, as months turn to years, all wasted. On someone not willing to change.Now only a shadow remains! :(
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Kuron wrote:BTW, you are very lucky to get free guitars. I have never managed that. The best I had is a friend give me a killer deal.
Yes, pretty lucky. Its been quiet since those two and I'm not holding my breath.

I'd only accept a free guitar if I was either going to keep it in my collection, or if I could find another home for it.
Kuron

Post by Kuron »

Unfortunately, not going to be able to place the person I am a caregiver for, as her income is not enough for any of the facilities around here...

So, wifey and I were talking and since we are getting older, if one of us were to pass on, the place we are in now is too big for just one person, and a smaller place would be ideal. We have 10 acres and only 5 of it is cleared. If we cleared off the other 5 acres and put a small home there, it could be used as a studio, and when one of us passes, the remaining spouse could move into the small home and sell the larger home and 5 acres it is on and have a decent nest egg to live off of.

So, on Tuesday, we went and put a down payment on a new one bedroom 14 foot by 39 foot home. It will be a 10 year mortgage, and monthly payments should only be around $225-$250 per month, including $75 per month for insurance. This will be perfect for a studio, as well as a home when that time comes. Furniture is included, but it will be removed. Appliances are also included, but the fridge will be unplugged, so it will still be brand new once somebody needs to live there. It has Heat/AC and is very well built and insulated. It has 6 inch walls. The day we were there, the "feels like temp" outside was 104F and the thermometer inside was 85F and this was at 2pm.

It will be a while before it can be delivered. We first need to get a septic system put in. Then get a well dug. Then we need to get a dozer in there and clear and level off space for the house and get a driveway cleared. So, it is looking around late Autumn before it can be set up. So, very excited. Providing any unforeseen financial setbacks, it is a go. :)

Photos of my new studio below...

Vinnie who?
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

Congratulations

NEWBEGINNINGS
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Yes, contratulations, very nice!
Kuron

Post by Kuron »

Thank you.
Vinnie who?
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

Way cool! 8) 8) 8)

I thought the crapper was in the kitchen for a while there! :lol: :lol: :lol: :oops: :oops: :oops:
Promises made, crying in vain, all empty. Never accepting the blame and not letting go of the shame. A river of tears, as months turn to years, all wasted. On someone not willing to change.Now only a shadow remains! :(
Kuron

Post by Kuron »

shramiac wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:33 amI thought the crapper was in the kitchen for a while there! :lol: :lol: :lol: :oops: :oops: :oops:
LOL. No, full bathroom, with a nice tub/shower.

Wifey and I love this so much, that we decided to also buy another one to replace our current home. We will have it set up next to the studio. So, a new home and a new studio, both at the same time. :D
Vinnie who?
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

That's a heck of a studio, and congrats on getting another!
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

Living the dream!

Congrats.
metatron

Post by metatron »

Congratulations.
More power to you if you can do these things.
If an opportunity is there and one can maximize it
go for it.
& like Vic said, that will be heck of a studio.
I got Jesus in my fax machine. I saw Ho Chi Minh down @ Burger King. I dated Vinnie Vincent as a Drag Queen. I still don't understand a f**kin' thing.
I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass and I'm all out of bubble gum.
Kuron

Post by Kuron »

Thursday, we drove out there and found one we liked and wanted as our new home. "Our Guy" was off, so we went back on Friday afternoon to put a down payment on it. I also wanted to look again at the one for the studio and take some measurements.

Unfortunately, we found out one of the other sales people had sold the studio out from under us, and because "Our Guy" was the newest guy, the boss was exercising seniority to settle the issue and screwing us out of the studio we had put $$ down on. It gets worse. It appears the boss came up with the plan to just substitute one they had in the back, that was the same model and was supposedly in better shape and was just going to deliver it to us, when that time came. Wifey is beside me asleep and I don't want to rattle stuff around trying to get the camera connected to upload pics of the replacement, but I will do so this weekend. It was not in better shape, in much worse shape actually. Water damage over the front door, the front door, bent where it had been pried open when locked, all kinds of shoddy patchwork on the walls, dirty walls, completely different kind of back door, and not the original one, and it had been installed improperly and was not sealing tight and you could see daylight around the edge and it would leak in a heavy rain. The floor creaked really bad anywhere you stepped in the place. "Our Guy" was the only honest one there, and likely at the cost of his job, took us out back to show us what they were trying to pawn off on us and gave us the details.

Wifey and I were both devastated, and mad. We are assured we will be getting our $300 back via a check, but we had a pretty harsh talk with the boss. Between the two homes, they cost themselves $47,000 in sales.

People are such crooks. Even here in the Bible belt and the deep south where you expect people to have some ethics, morals and southern hospitality, they will still screw you over. Wifey and I are older and not in the best health, so this added stress hasn't been good. My heart has been a bit funky tonight and still too stressed to sleep.

*shrugs* :(
Vinnie who?
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Aww crap, that really sucks man.

I hope something works out for you guys.
Kuron

Post by Kuron »

Thank you for the kind words, bossman. Wifey and I firmly believe everything happens for a reason. In the short term, I found a wonderful assisted living home for the person I am a caregiver for and she moves there in October. It is only a few miles away. I will be able to shove stuff in the small bedroom she is currently in and get my studio temporarily set up in the big back bedroom that is currently packed wall to wall and finally access my instruments. My income will be dropping in half due to no longer being a caregiver, but by spring we should have enough saved to put $$ down on a 12x40 utility building (much like the one my friend was doing in trade) and I will finish it off on the inside and have my permanent studio.

Anyway, pics of what they were trying to stick us with:

Damage to front door from prying it open:

Water damage above front door:

Front door not sealing properly and not watertight:

Shoddy patchwork on wall by front door:

Utility door dinged up:

Back door not installed properly and obviously not watertight:

Broken furniture:

Water leaks in ceiling:

Vinnie who?
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Wow....can't beleive they would try and do that.

Good luck with your future endevours!
Kuron

Post by Kuron »

It is unbelievable, but it is their loss. As Dave said "You've got to roll with the punches to get to what's real". Those are pretty good words to live by. ;)
Vinnie who?
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

Kuron wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:06 pm It is unbelievable, but it is their loss. As Dave said "You've got to roll with the punches to get to what's real". Those are pretty good words to live by. ;)
The world would be a better place if we all lived under Dave's gospel.

NEWBEGINNINGS
KraigoWaffles

Post by KraigoWaffles »

poserboy71 wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:07 am
Kuron wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:06 pm It is unbelievable, but it is their loss. As Dave said "You've got to roll with the punches to get to what's real". Those are pretty good words to live by. ;)
The world would be a better place if we all lived under Dave's gospel.
Amen