rock guitar players doing jazz

Non Vinnie discussion
doublev

rock guitar players doing jazz

Post by doublev »

knowing Vinnie and Michael Angelo are also very good jazz guitar players.. i would love to get a bunch of guys together to do a straight bebop type jazz record with upright bass etc.
After March I have some time and may look into it. I have lots of contacts in the jazz world. anyone suggest anyone? I heard Greg Howe is also a jazz guitar player.. I dont want it to be fusion however.. i want metal guitar players playing the real shit. I am sure VV wont do it, but hopefully someothers would. I can even get the cocacola at the lincoln centre and a few jazz festivals really interested including London and Paris.
i will work on this in march.
birnie

Re: rock guitar players doing jazz

Post by birnie »

Alex Skolnick (ex Testament)
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Yes, I was gong to say Alex, he left Testament to really do just jazz but he's back again isn't he?

If you get in touch with Alex please, please ask him about the Charvel he has. He's got it in storage somewhere last I heard (I emailed him about it). It's a custom San Dimas model from the 90's with a maple board. I LOVE that guitar but he wouldn't sell it.
Commander in chief - VVF Army
doublev

Post by doublev »

i also heard the original Megadeth guitar play Chris Poland played jazz.
Last time I saw Testament (must have been 1990 they had to call for a ambulance for me and I ended up loosing my front tooth in a mosh pit.. I didn't even want to be their.. I just went to see the opening act Annihilator and another band that I totally forget their names now.. The bass player in my band throught Alex Skolnick was the best guitar player ever. I didn't see it myself, but I would like to hear his other work.

I was going to ask the following.. let me know if anymore spring to mind..

Vinnie Vincent (not going to happen)
Paul Gilbert
Tony MacAlpine
Greg Howe
Richie Kotzen
Marty Friedman
Michael Angelo Batio

But thats on top of my head.. If I can get some of those guys it would be cool.

Does anyone remember 'Shout' In Your Face which featured Marty Friedman, MAB, Lanny Cordola, Randy Hansen and a few others? Random question but though I'd ask anyway
doublev

Post by doublev »

[youtube][/youtube]

well.. don't know what to say. Let me criticise the drummer.. only joking. Its a bit lounge music in a hip boutique hotel if you know what I mean.

I think I would want some more edgy sounding shit.
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Chris Impellitteri could probably do it. I don't know a lot about him but I think he could the jazz thing.

Alex was doing real jazz, the sort I don't care about. Well, I don't care about any jazz so I never heard what he did.
Commander in chief - VVF Army
metatron

Post by metatron »

I reckon Michael Angelo will do it.
I got Jesus in my fax machine. I saw Ho Chi Minh down @ Burger King. I dated Vinnie Vincent as a Drag Queen. I still don't understand a f**kin' thing.
I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass and I'm all out of bubble gum.
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

Impelliterri is bullshit playing. I never heard anything that I enjoy in his playing. Chris Poland ,Skolnick,and MAB will get you close but I fear you would be treading the fusion line.

Skolnick is the guy that is probably closest to the vibe you want though.
THINK: Porter Wagoner

:wink: I am the Undisputed Sex Symbol of the VVFF
NEWBEGINNINGS
doublev

Post by doublev »

Maybe I will have them play electric but do versions of jazz bebop and swing classics.
Possio

Post by Possio »

Cool idea, but I think it would be better to have them show what they can do with
the jazz standards,(more enjoyable for the general audience) Just my opinion anyway...As for real jazz cats, I really like Larry Coryell.
His Tricycles album is fantastic. cool vibe and not so totally "out".
/Olle
doublev

Post by doublev »

Jazz guitar playing and jazz in general is such a fine line between great and cheesy. Only the best don't sound like creamed corn to me.
Lil' Jack Horny

Post by Lil' Jack Horny »

Hello boys and girls,

As I'm sure you well know, I'm very involved in my school. Well, tommorow's the big day, my time to shine, because tommorow I have the pep assembly that I've been planning for a month. The only thing I really have to worry about at this moment is memorizing my lines, and if I can memorize lyrics, I can memorize lines. I'm a little anxious. So after this I'll have more time for your little jazz trio with your little upright basses and your jazzy cleans.
I prowl the innocent, forbidden terrain, unleashed half human, half insane