PC Upgrade time

Non Vinnie discussion
Genebaby
Site Admin

PC Upgrade time

Post by Genebaby »

Damn, looks like my main PC has finally had it. I was going to upgrade late last year but decided to wait until the new Intel CPU's and chipsets are a bit more mature but today, after 6 years of faithful service it seems the motherboard has had it.

This is the original 6 year old pc save a CPU and memory upgrade I did a few years ago which have increased it's life span until now. Ran Windows 7 and my software fine.

Oh well, will have to go out tomorrow and get some new stuff. I'm back on the netbook until it's sorted.

I build PC's all the time for family and friends. A whole bunch of them have PC's better than mine, but that will now change!!!

Damn, the latest Intel CPU's are due in about a week or so, I dont' think I can wait that long.
Commander in chief - VVF Army
birnie

Re: PC Upgrade time

Post by birnie »

I would so love a brand new PC with evrything new in it.
Self built of course.....
I just have nothing that can justify the power. I only surf the net and download.....ummm, documentaries ;)

I recently 'upgraded' from an old Pentium 4 to a mates, no longer needed, Core 2 Duo with 3Gb RAM.
Cost $200 and i'm chuffed ;)
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Yeah, that would do that very well. I am going to be working with HD video, home movies of the family, and I don't upgrade often, as my 6yo motherboard can attest, so I am going all out.

This will have a Solid State Drive, can't wait for that part. Looks like I'll have to max out the Ram on the motherboard to the 16Gb max.

If I had done this last year I would have gone 12 initially, with maybe another 12 later on a triple channel board, but these new ones are only dual channel, so I"ll get the max right now.

My old pc started with 1Gb, and got another 2Gb, still in dual channel, as part of the upgrade a while ago.

Still doing my homework and seeing what a friend who now runs a PC shop can do for me. Some stores are advertising the new chips online already so hopefully he will be able to get them this week too.

It's a crazy time to be doing this.
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

Genebaby wrote: Looks like I'll have to max out the Ram on the motherboard ...

:shock: :shock: :shock:
THINK: Porter Wagoner

:wink: I am the Undisputed Sex Symbol of the VVFF
NEWBEGINNINGS
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

Haven't got any ddr 2 667 Ram spare have you GB???? Got a really good nic, 3 year dual core, ex work, that I just want to run Pro tools with XP at home!
Promises made, crying in vain, all empty. Never accepting the blame and not letting go of the shame. A river of tears, as months turn to years, all wasted. On someone not willing to change.Now only a shadow remains! :(
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

How much do you need?

I just had a look. I have 1 1Gb stick of 667. Lots of 512mb sticks of 533. Is that any good to you?
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

Thanks, Vic! I was looking to get 4 gig to max it out! Although 3 would probably do since xp only "sees" 3 and a bit! Maybe Dannii could steal some for me since he's the PC guru isn't he????
Promises made, crying in vain, all empty. Never accepting the blame and not letting go of the shame. A river of tears, as months turn to years, all wasted. On someone not willing to change.Now only a shadow remains! :(
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Yeah, regular XP won't see much above 3Gb. So this ram is no good for you?
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

I've only got two RAM slots so I was hoping to get two 2 gig sticks! Guess I'll have to get the moths out of my wallet and buy new ones! Yes, I am a tight wad!!!!
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

shramiac wrote:I've only got two RAM slots so I was hoping to get two 2 gig sticks! ...tight wad!!!!

I just came. :shock:

NEWBEGINNINGS
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

Always a comment from the "peanut gallery"! :roll:
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

It's like the Muppet Show around here sometimes, isn't it?.... ;)
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

Genebaby wrote:It's like the Muppet Show around here sometimes, isn't it?.... ;)
Only if you shove your hand up my ass and can make me talk. :D :D :D

NEWBEGINNINGS
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

What???? Only one hand???? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

And there you have it. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

For those interested, the new beast is taking shape. I have ordered a bunch of new bits, but have to wait on the new CPU as the version I want doesn't come out until next week. This version I am after is the one that you can overclock, something which didn't really matter in the past, but now there are two flavours of the same chip from Intel, standard and the one you can overclock the ass off.

As I don't upgrade much I am going for the maximum overclock. To help I have ordered a very large, but quiet heatsink called a Silver Arrow by Thermalright.

As the CPU is delaying things I am umming and uhhing between the Pro and Deluxe versions of an Asus motherboard. I am looking into which one will overclock better maybe.

For RAM I have ended up with 16Gb of 2000Mhz DDR3. It's two Patriot 8Gb kits.

Storage is handled by a 120Gb SSD drive for OS and Apps and two 2Tb Hitachi 7200rpm HDD's.

Video is a semi-decent Nvidia GTS 450 1GB card. The main reason I got this is that I wanted an updated card also had dual DVI. This is the most basic part of the system and I would have gotten a cheaper one if I could have gotten dual DVI.

I had to get a new power supply as well, my old one is decent still but not compatible anymore. As I won't be using two high end, power hungry video cards I got a Corsair 650w jobbie. These power supplies perform best when they are being used so no good getting a 1000w one when it would probably not even be running at 50% capacity.

My current case is quite nice but nowadays they are much improved in air flow which will help support my overclocking so I have an Antec 902 V3 coming. I would like to keep my current Antec case as I did buy it thinking I wouldn't need to get another one, but things are always changing. Still, six years is pretty good use. I'll keep it and someone else can use it who won't be overclocking.

I also bought a Pioneer Blu-ray burner as my purpose in upgrading in the first place was for HD video so this will come in handy. I only wish the discs were cheaper, the usual story.

I think that's it.
metatron

Post by metatron »

Get yourself a real computer,,,,,a mac. :lol: :lol: :lol:
I got Jesus in my fax machine. I saw Ho Chi Minh down @ Burger King. I dated Vinnie Vincent as a Drag Queen. I still don't understand a f**kin' thing.
I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass and I'm all out of bubble gum.
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

I eat macs and cheeseburgers for lunch baby!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Hopefully the CPU and motherboard will be here tomorrow, along with the PSU.

I am probably going to change my ram as the cpu cooler I got is absolutely massive. I wasn't prepared for how big it was in real life, and my ram with the heat spreaders on top will most likely not fit underneath it. I'm looking to take this stuff back and get some more regular Corsair XMS 1600.

I did find out what killed my pc. When I was pulling the old one apart I did notice a small piece of plastic. It turns out this was part of the heatsink clip and the heatsink was no longer attached correctly. My initial checks showed that the cpu fan was spinning so I was happy there wasn't a problem there, but it turns out there was.

Oh well, it lasted a while.
metatron

Post by metatron »

Once you go Mac,,you don't go back!
I got Jesus in my fax machine. I saw Ho Chi Minh down @ Burger King. I dated Vinnie Vincent as a Drag Queen. I still don't understand a f**kin' thing.
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Dannii, did you hear that? Ronald is calling, he wants your big mac.
doublev

Post by doublev »

i use mac and linux. Can not do the windows thing now. I like Linux for all the free stuff and no viruses.
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

Well if you'd stay away from the sites Dannii & Rick like, you wouldn't have a virus problem! :lol: :lol: :roll:
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

I like to build my own stuff and just care for Apple's policies.

I don't have problems with viruses and Windows 7 64bit is fantastic.
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

I did take my original ram back and will go for the Corsair that is standard height, this will give me more options when mounting the cooler and fans, plus will actually fit.

Fingers crossed everything is here tomorrow. Then the fun begins stress testing to overclock the sucker, then I can just relax and use it.

I am prepared to be blown away by how fast it boots up and runs compared to the old one.
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

Post a pic of yourself getting blown back like the old TDK (I think) ads with the guy siting in the lounge chair getting blasted by the POWER!!!!
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Ha ha, turning a new pc on for the first time is always a worry, then it's good to see the boot up screens and know all is well.

Except for once back in 98 when we plugged a small lead in the wrong way and it started to smoke as the insulation layer began melting off.

Turns out I didn't need that lead anyhow.
metatron

Post by metatron »

Genebaby wrote:I like to build my own stuff and just care for Apple's policies.
I don't have problems with viruses and Windows 7 64bit is fantastic.
What about Microsoft policies...http://www.newworldorderwar.com/tag/see ... -solution/
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

I love them all!!!!
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Oh my God, what a saga this has all been.

Ok, my pc is still not going as I ended up ordering it from the UK due to a shortage of the "K" chips here in Australia. It's still not here.

Over two weeks ago I did get all the bits of a similar system for a friend whose old pc I built was dying and I had nothing but trouble keeping it stable at stock settings. Just two nights ago, after lots of testing and reinstalling and after a motherboard swap and new video drivers, it has finally become stable.

So, with that one looking ok I finally put most of my bits in my case last night, ready for the cpu, which should FINALLY be here this week.

Wake up this morning and there is a problem with the chipset on the new motherboards and there will be a recall when they can get new board manufactured!!! Bloody hell, I just can't win. And I wanted this thing to be up and running weeks ago!!

I think I may just run the standard heatsink and use it stock until the motherboard issue is sorted and then install the big heatsink and start the overclocking. This is getting to be too much.
birnie

Post by birnie »

My Mum's got my old C64 you can borrow in the meantime.
Never missed a beat :)
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Actually, I would love a C64. Does it have any peripherals?
birnie

Post by birnie »

It had the disk drive and a dot matrix printer
Load "game",8,1 lol
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Oooh, disk drive nice......
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Frickin' hell, the CPU finally arrived today!! I am right next to the new pc now. The long task of copying my old data onto the new drives is first up and will take a while.

It won't be setup fully sick and overclocked until the motherboard swap around April so I'm just keen to get my old data so I can just get on with it for a while.
birnie

Post by birnie »

This ol' thread popped in my head the other day
Can't believe how old it is now....2011 !
You didn't say which CPU you got Vic?
Is it still holding up or time for another upgrade?
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

This PC is a beast, it's still going strong. I overdid it nicely back then.

The CPU is the top I7 from back then, but the K version that allows overclocking, I can't remember it's number right now.

All I've changed is I used a brand new SSD to install Windows 8 and I'll do the same when I go to 10 when it's ready to go. I put the old SSD in another PC in the house.

I may end up putting some more storage in it this year, maybe.

It's funny, but when its finally time for a new one I may downsize to a Surface Pro with a dock.
birnie

Post by birnie »

I've been looking around and comparing CPU's lately
The 2nd 3rd and 4th series CPU's....really not much in it
If you've got a good i5/i7 even 2nd gen, not worth it to upgrade IMO
Got some good use out of it by the sounds of it :D
birnie

Post by birnie »

...and considering you got the K series, did you end up overclocking or had enough under the hood without?
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

A good CPU from either of those series is still great, which is why I went for the one I did. Lots of ram, an SSD, it all makes a difference. I've certainly never needed to upgrade anything as I'm not a gamer, otherwise a video card may have been changed by now, maybe twice!

My CPU is a 3.4, I got it to 4.8 with the Thermaltake Silver Arrow heat sink, and the large case with good airflow etc.

It would still kick ass if it was stock, but I wan't going for stock.
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

Nerds! :P :twisted:
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Back to your iPhone you!!!!!!!!!!!!