favorite personal cassette player

Non Vinnie discussion
doublev2

favorite personal cassette player

Post by doublev2 »

I am big into personal cassette players. My favorite is the aiwa hs px505.
Anyone else have a favorite? I love pulling mine out on an airplane and have the kid next to me look like I am nuts.
Bye Bye
Mickey

Re: favorite personal cassette player

Post by Mickey »

Havent had a cassetteplayer in ages. However it would be fun to see that kids face =)
tukoztukoz

Post by tukoztukoz »

doublev2 wrote:I am big into personal cassette players. My favorite is the aiwa hs px505.
Anyone else have a favorite? I love pulling mine out on an airplane and have the kid next to me look like I am nuts.
Eight-track? :lol: :lol:
say two sky two say fare
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

I have a nakamichi dragon tape player and I swear with my old 60s altec speakers the thing beats anything I have ever heard including vinyl. I think the tape compression brings out the richest sound I ever heard. I think most cassette players suck and are cheaply made but the nakamichi is incredible. Lucky I bought before the prices went through roof. As for Walkmans I love the aiwa.
Bye Bye
Streetbeat

Post by Streetbeat »

Cool thread ! Post a pic of it Dino !
tukoztukoz

Post by tukoztukoz »

image.jpg
That doesn't sound like a nakamichi but looks great...
say two sky two say fare
BigEd

Post by BigEd »

2 of my favorites....

ImageImage
ankh

Post by ankh »

got two, one Pioneer ct 449 and one Marantz( the gold plated series).Had several "walkmans" starting with ablue "Crown" one.Believe it or not, i still use some small speakers built by UNISEF especially for walkman cassette players .Even tough they are tiny, they are full range and sound very good, great for late night listening/playng
“Men are apt to be much more influenced by words than by the actual facts of the surrounding reality.” I.Pavlov

MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL:
http://www.youtube.com/user/mesolimbicn ... sults_main

Lemmy: "Can you hear this horrible sound coming out of my monitors?"
Monitor guy: "No."
Lemmy: "Neither can I.Turn me up!"
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Cool thread.

I still have my old Aiwa HS-J45, which I bought to play my music on the move, but also to record bands that I went to see back in the day due to it's stereo mic. It was cabled and I clipped it to the top of my t-shirt. They somehow busted me with it at Kiss in Sydney in 95 but I got the convention show the day earlier and many other cool shows.

I seem to have lost or misplaced the microphone as I haven't seen it in years.

Around 97 or so I got a Sony WM-EX510, which is a basic tape only walkman, but with long playback and only one AA battery. I don't use them anymore, but I did use the Sony to record some tape stuff into the PC.

Then I bought a Pioneer CT-S410 to record into the PC, which is a pretty cool deck.

I used to have my Uncle's old full Pioneer system he got in 1983 and I used to treasure and play and tape my albums on in the 80's. All that's left are the speakers, I have those out in the studio where I usually practice. The tape deck suffered from a change in speed, which was fine if you didn't play your tape on a different deck, ha ha. The very good turn table also suffered from bad slowing and speeding up. I changed the belts but it didn't help. They weren't slipping, the motor was dying. I now have a Technics direct drive turn table. I gave away the radio module and the equalizer section (so cool in the 80's) and I thought the amp had died so I gave that away but it was fixed by the new owner by replacing the fuses, ha ha.
Commander in chief - VVF Army
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

What my Aiwa looks like.....

VVWarrior82

Post by VVWarrior82 »

Dude, I haven't owned a walkman since the 90's. I jumped on the CD bandwagon pretty quick initally, so I honestly have probably only ever owned 2 personal cassette players. I still have my gigantic Fisher house unit though.
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Got a pic of that one? I remember some relatives from Europe telling us about their Fisher stereo system.
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

Nice vic.
Damn I was bidding on the supposedly best aiwa ever made and it sold for $1700. I guess tapes are hot.
Bye Bye
heavystef

Post by heavystef »

Folks, try to get a JVC KDV 11. The best I ever had and heard...

http://www.ebay.de/sch/i.html?poi=2276& ... 6411806789
And on the 8th day god created rock'n roll!
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Cool one Stef.

This reminds me, I got a Marantz deck from work end of last year, I haven't hooked it up yet, but it needed a home so I grabbed it. Next time I'm in the studio, where it lives, I'll get it's details.
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

I have one of these in a bedroom at home somewhere! It got hammered in the late 80/90's. Can't remember if it still works though? Copied many an LP onto cassette with this sucker!

Then I bought an all in one Pioneer system that I still have but haven't turned on in 5 years.....sad to say that I'm an iPhone listener now + my CD player in the ute I drive!

Pretty much this one, though I had a different Eq....also the tape players don't work as good as they used to...only like playing in one direction...no! Not Harry Styles' one direction!

Arguably the best cassette player I have is in my Yamaha 4 Track recorder from late '89. I mean, it HAD to be good for me to send all my top notch recordings to Mike Varney at Shrapnel Records to try and get a deal.......wait......I never did that! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Promises made, crying in vain, all empty. Never accepting the blame and not letting go of the shame. A river of tears, as months turn to years, all wasted. On someone not willing to change.Now only a shadow remains! :(
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Nice Andrew, that Technics deck would be good.

Based on the awesomeness of my Uncle's Pioneer gear from '83 we got a VERY similar system all-in-one, which was a crappy trend to look high end.

Around 93/94 I did buy what was, at the time, a very cool little JVC unit. It was in separate pieces, but they connected via proprietary cables, so not the component setup of the past and not quite the all-in-one thing. No turntable on this one though, just CD, tape and radio.

It was fairly compact and sounded excellent, had some very cool speakers with ported bass thing going on. Trouble was the woofers in the speakers tended to blow. I got it fixed the first time via a lengthy and painful warranty process and did't bother when it happened again. A friend of mine bought one too and had the same issue. If the speakers didn't give out I would still have it.