Floyd Rose comes around at last!

Non Vinnie discussion
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

Promises made, crying in vain, all empty. Never accepting the blame and not letting go of the shame. A river of tears, as months turn to years, all wasted. On someone not willing to change.Now only a shadow remains! :(
Genebaby
Site Admin

Re: Floyd Rose comes around at last!

Post by Genebaby »

That's not like the push in arm of the 80's. What's going on there? Looks like it still screws on somehow.
Commander in chief - VVF Army
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

Looks like how my Petrucci and the Wilkinson wang work. Push the arm in and you adjust the swing tension with the grub screw. Tighten to have it solid or loose to have it swinging around like EVH does.
Promises made, crying in vain, all empty. Never accepting the blame and not letting go of the shame. A river of tears, as months turn to years, all wasted. On someone not willing to change.Now only a shadow remains! :(
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Grub screw? Oh no, I hate needing a tool to adjust things which I might want to change on the fly.

The stupid D-Tuna got me with that. After it's locked and set you need to use an allen key to fine tune it. Stuff that, that's what fine tuners are for.
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

I have zero issues with the collared arms that Schaller make. Copies are not as good, but the schaller is great. Adjust it on the fly for loose or tight or in between.
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

Yes but the arm will wobble in the socket if the collar nut is loose! Not a huge amount but still annoying.
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

I can't say I've noticed that, it's all the non-Schaller ones that I swapped out I didn't like.
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

For all interested (not Vic of course :P), I picked one up and here is an "exploded" view.
Surprised that it didn't have a knob on the small end (shush Rick) like an Ibanez/Wilkinson/Musicman arm has to "click into" but none the less, it should work pretty well. Feels pretty snug in the nylon sleeve with the grub screw loose.

Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Ugh, a grub screw.

Let me just change the tension on my Floyd arm, hang on, let me get my allen key. Hang on, let me find my allen key. Does anyone have an allen key?

Not a fan of nylon bushings either, as they wear out. The German made collared arm is still my best friend. Tight or loose when I want it, adjustable by hand.

Question I just thought of. So, when you put it in initially the grub screw is out and the arm is very loose? So you need to use the allen key every time you take it out of the case to adjust it to your liking, then undo it to put it back in? That is worse than I realised, as I put my Floyd arm in, screw in the collar, use it, unscrew it and put it away so the case can close. Hmmm........
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

Ahhhh.....no. You set the firmness you like and the arm will still pop in and out. I doubt you'll touch the grub screw for years. While I'll admit the Ibanez/JT-6 arm bushes do wear out (still takes a year or so to do so), the sleeve goes the whole length of the arm and will no doubt, take many a year to wear out! I'll set up on weekend and see how she goes.

If it's good enough for Guthrie...... :P :P :P

Vic, "Well, Andrew! If Guthrie told you jump off the Empire State Building, would you?" :P :P :P :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yes I'm quite, quite mad!!!
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Ah, I see. Still not for me. If you could adjust it without a tool it's like it better.

What is it with this Guthrie guy, he gets whatever he wants these days!