Drum sounds

Non Vinnie discussion
doublev

Post by doublev »

I saw Kiss in Brisbane when I was visiting my mother. Can not remember the year but no Peter Criss (Ace was there however) I was bummed out about the Pete no show. I wish Kiss played Dirty Livin' live.. still one of the best 'pop' Kiss tunes in my opinion.
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

I love Dirty Livin'!!! Great song, great album.

That would have been in 2001 and I think that show was billed as the LAST Kiss show ever, so some people I know went to that one from the States below to be there for that special show.

Eric was great on that tour with Ace, I saw them in Sydney. My friend says someone he knows could see that Ace was pretending to play and that someone else was playing the guitar parts for him during this tour. Reckons his fingers were not on the fretboard.
Commander in chief - VVF Army
doublev

Post by doublev »

yes. now i think about it it wasn't brisbane but gold coast (i think)
doublev

Post by doublev »

I got to say I like Eric's 80s stuff much better than what he did later with Kiss. Obviously he's good, just minor issues with his playing in my opinion. i think he is generally boring and his sound is generic these days, but I heard some good stuff he did a long time ago that was good. I think when he was younger he over-played and it was much more interesting.. I think Paul and Gene have controlled him a little these days.
doublev

Post by doublev »

Singer was very good on the Badlands record in my opinion, less predictable.
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

My opinion of drummers and sounds is much simpler than yours Dino. :)

I think Eric did a great job on Revenge, especially considering how it was recorded.

For drum sounds, I love the sound of Eric Carr's kit on the Animalize Live Uncensored (though it is, it's cut near the end) video. I love the drum sound on that show. Have you heard it? I'm guessing you have.

I recorded it on a HiFi VCR to a stereo cassette for my walkman, loved that show.
doublev

Post by doublev »

Eric Carr always sounded good to me. Those Ludwigs to me were the best drums for rock in the 80s and the way he played them helped of course. Yes Revenge was good too. Actually I think the worse Eric Carr sound came off the Lick it up record in my opinion, but many factors could be involved.
doublev

Post by doublev »

i think Singer's snare was a little too tame (too polite) It sounds like wood to me and a little generic. I would have used a COB snare like Buddy Rich for Kiss. Its a touch too controlled as well for me. I think Eric Carr had more of a baggy sound than Singer.
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Man, I LOVE the whole sound of Lick It Up, the guitars, bass, drums, vocals, it's a great sound and a great mix. Stands up to this day as a quality recording. My opinion of course.
doublev

Post by doublev »

ohh shit.. let me listen again. I just remember the drums on creatures sounded like they were played in cathedral or elevator shaft and they were more 'normal' on lick it up but i will listen again now
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Creatures has different drum sounds depending on the version of the album you get. The original release with make-up cover and the re-release with Bruce on it sound different.

I think on the re-release they made the drums even MORE bombastic.

Creatures sounds different to LIU. Both are good to me, but LIU is a smooth, metal masterpiece.
doublev

Post by doublev »

i think the drums on liu are warmer and not as hard edge. I like it but it sounds a bit too smooth and not a full to me, but its just marginal. I thought Crazy Nights surprisingly had a very good drum sound.
doublev

Post by doublev »

its a bit like the sound Mick Brown had on 'in my dreams' but better.. i thought the drums ruined that album, but maybe i am really a dumb ass!!!
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Hey man, each to their own. You sure care more about the drums than I do.

I liken the sound on Ratt's Out Of The Cellar to the drums on Animalize Live.
doublev

Post by doublev »

i think this album was a touch better drum wise.. this tune is really strange in a lot of ways. The 'cup' or bell sound from the cymbal is pretty strong and the guitar playing is a little surprising to me, especially the verse. Pretty confusing and maybe a little sloppy compared to Lick it up, but I really like it. I like the solo somewhat too. It reminds me of the tv show 'airwolf' a little in the begging.
doublev

Post by doublev »

that dude from Ratt knew what to do with his drums. I saw him live and he was mind blowing
doublev

Post by doublev »

i think i am on crack comparing Airwolf to thrills in the night,
doublev

Post by doublev »

woops

this music makes me feel like i'm trapped in some sort of 80s solarium.
doublev

Post by doublev »

ok.. i got confused, i thought the verse in thrills in the night reminded me a little of magnum pi.. forget airwolf ..
doublev

Post by doublev »

now thats a good drum sound! lol
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Whoa, we are way off course so I've been a good admin and split all this crazy drum talk to a new thread.

I caught some old Magnum on the telly the other week, so many old shows on digital tv these days it's great.
doublev

Post by doublev »

i lost it big time with this.
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Maybe, like me, you need to go to sleep! Catch ya later Dino!
ankh

Post by ankh »

there was a rumour started by somebody from Quiet riot about how the drum sound of the LIU was done by sampling the sound on "metal health".

About "Animalize", there were overdubs made by Allan schwartzberg.I didn't like the way it was mixed and recorded, apart from HOF.Even the guitar,Mark did use some rockman gear and, because of the mix and double tracking , it wasn't really prominent lime it shold have been possible.Btw, the rockman mixed with the marshall and the sansamp did spoil also a lot of the Bruce lived sound, like you can hear on the "HITS" part of kissology.

About CN, Ron Nevison did use his standard production, exactly the same one used in both Heart and Ozzy Albums, the sound are so similar,lmost like a cookie cutter method of production.Kiss were hoping to achieve the same success, but it was two years too late

Eric carr knew his limitations and always played for the song, for his feeling and enthusiasm for me was a great drummer.
I remember going to the Monsters of Rock in Donington in 1988 and , even tough there were muscians who could play circles around the other guys in Kiss, Eric, with his passion and enthusiasm, really made the day for me.

Apart form COT, i don't think the records he did with the band did make him justice.For many reasons, i think kiss did really sold him short.
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

ankh wrote:there was a rumour started by somebody from Quiet riot about how the drum sound of the LIU was done by sampling the sound on "metal health".
Don't believe it. Kiss may have wanted something similar and used it as a reference.Frankie is a flower and an overrated drummer. I know first hand. I worked for them 10 years ago.Kevin was an absolute cock and Frankie (knowing where his bread was buttered) always backed him up.
When coke-head Kevin died, Frankie vowed that QR could never be. This year ,Frankie put together a new version of QR. What loyalty he has.

On the bus one night Frankie told me that he turned down an audition for Kiss because he committed to (I believe -???) Pat Thralls band. What kind of douche passes that up?
THINK: Porter Wagoner

:wink: I am the Undisputed Sex Symbol of the VVFF
NEWBEGINNINGS
doublev

Post by doublev »

Allan Schwartzberg strangely played on Peter Criss's solo record with Kiss and 'let me rock yo'. Vini Poncia didn't like Peter's drumming, I think he also did something like that with Ringo Starr too, funny enough I think Peter and Ringo are genius drummers.. not technical at all but they have the feel more than many drummers. Art v Science.
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

I don't believe anyone can argue with that.

NEWBEGINNINGS
ankh

Post by ankh »

Allan played on PC first solo album because Peter has braces on his hand due to a car accident, Peter was sitting on the floor next to him and was fine with it.

I like Peter drumming very much,would like to hear more of it,especially since he was recording a jazz album, but i will not lose sleep about it,especially after "one for all"
doublev

Post by doublev »

but Let me Rock you also. Vini Poncia wasn't keen on Peter's playing so Gene said. I think its very cool however he let another drummer come in on his solo record. I think Peter was very low on confidence by the time they were recording Let me Rock you. Peter had the best voice in Kiss in my opinion.. too bad they didn't let V sing on at least one tune on Lick it up. i wonder if they had not split if V would have gotten a chance to sing on the next record.
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

Of course Vinnie would have sang eventually. At least we have the Vinnie/Paul trade offs in Lick It Up.

NEWBEGINNINGS
doublev

Post by doublev »

its impossible for me to imagine them letting him sing but it would have been cool.
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

Alex Van Halen's 1984 snare drum! Aaaaaahhhhhh! 8 inches of maple power!
Promises made, crying in vain, all empty. Never accepting the blame and not letting go of the shame. A river of tears, as months turn to years, all wasted. On someone not willing to change.Now only a shadow remains! :(
TheGoodDr

Post by TheGoodDr »

Speaking of Drums, see Eric Carr's Crazy Nights tour kit is being sold off by his family. I'm really hoping to be able to buy at least one piece of this set for my collection :)
metatron

Post by metatron »

poserboy71 wrote:Of course Vinnie would have sang eventually. At least we have the Vinnie/Paul trade offs in Lick It Up.
Don't think so. What song did Bruce eventually get to sing?
I got Jesus in my fax machine. I saw Ho Chi Minh down @ Burger King. I dated Vinnie Vincent as a Drag Queen. I still don't understand a f**kin' thing.
I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass and I'm all out of bubble gum.
TheGoodDr

Post by TheGoodDr »

I walk alone
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

TheGoodDr wrote:Speaking of Drums, see Eric Carr's Crazy Nights tour kit is being sold off by his family. I'm really hoping to be able to buy at least one piece of this set for my collection :)
It shouldn't be split up.

NEWBEGINNINGS
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

metatron wrote:
poserboy71 wrote:Of course Vinnie would have sang eventually. At least we have the Vinnie/Paul trade offs in Lick It Up.
Don't think so. What song did Bruce eventually get to sing?
I believe that is Vinnie and Paul doing the "come ons" at the end ??? :? :? :?
Not G&P.

NEWBEGINNINGS
TheGoodDr

Post by TheGoodDr »

It shouldn't be split up.
From the pieces that are available, it looked far from complete. I guess many components 'disappeared' over time.
I managed to get myself one of the small Solo Drums (for a pretty penny mind you) today. I'm thinking of maybe getting a tom tom instead as these are more recognisable in the various pics that exist of Eric sitting behind it.
doublev

Post by doublev »

i thought singer was good on this tour.. more interesting