My Car Is Possessed

Non Vinnie discussion
MatthewF

My Car Is Possessed

Post by MatthewF »

I had a scary experience to day. I was going to Giant Eagle to buy some grub when I noticed after taking a turn that the car was accelerating on its own. Thankfully no one was walking in front of me as I went to park it. I had to shove the brake down as far as possible to get it to stop. Upon getting out of the car I opened the hood and noticed the starter has smoke coming from it (great another ruined starter). The starter itself was replaced a few weeks ago and I am betting it is too powerful for the car and has blown a fuse or something. I say this because it is much larger than the original.
I went thru 2 starters in the last year because there is an oil leak where the filter goes into the engine that apparently no one knows how to fix. Of course the starter is right below the oil filter.
I had to call Giant Eagle and make sure they didn't tow my car as it is Sunday and no repair shop is open today. I will have to call them in the morning to make sure the manager on the next shift got the message. I really do not want to drive that thing esp. if it starts up again and accelerates harder next time.
It could also be the throttle body or an air intake valve.
I seriously hope I dont have to pay for a new starter.
MatthewF

Re: My Car Is Possessed

Post by MatthewF »

I would also like to mentioned that the NHTSA has a report on its website of this happening to other Ford Taurus owners as well. No recall of course so I have to pay for it.

Im going foreign on my next car purchase. We hear all the time about how good the quality of american cars are these days, yeah right!
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

I was going to ask what car it was. What year model?

Australia may get the next model Taurus in a few years when they stop making our local large family sedan, the Falcon,
Commander in chief - VVF Army
MatthewF

Post by MatthewF »

Its one of those drive by wire systems so chances are the wire is dirty grimy or it snapped.....
MatthewF

Post by MatthewF »

I was at the dealership apparently the pump that it is connected to went bad. 400 bucks to fix it. They also wanted to do over 1000 dollars of repairs which I couldnt afford. Chances are they were looking for a payday.