Jani Lane is dead

Non Vinnie discussion
Genebaby
Site Admin

Jani Lane is dead

Post by Genebaby »

This is all I know.
Lane was found dead at a hotel in Woodland Hills, California on August 11, 2011.
He was only 47.
Commander in chief - VVF Army
ozone73

Re: Jani Lane is dead

Post by ozone73 »

Here's what was posted on my FaceBook wall -
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbe ... mID=161881

I don't care how messed up he was and what people think of him ... I was always a big fan of Jani's voice. Thought it was cool he even played drums on Warrant's "Greatest & Latest." I read he was going to be on this season of That Metal Show.
Settle the f*ck down, monkey tits!
ozone73

Post by ozone73 »

I meant I read elsewhere a few weeks ago he was going to be on TMS.
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Another who couldn't lose their demons it seems. Very sad news.

Here is the Blabbermouth info:
According to TMZ.com, former WARRANT singer Jani Lane was found dead earlier this evening (Thursday, August 11) at a Los Angeles-area hotel. He was 47 years old.

Lane's body was discovered at the Comfort Inn hotel in Woodland Hills, California. So far, no official cause of death has been released.

On July 23, Lane took part in a taping of an upcoming episode of the "That Metal Show" alongside Michael Sweet (STRYPER) and Taime Downe (FASTER PUSSYCAT) (see photos below). The program featuring Lane is scheduled to air on October 1 on VH1 Classic.

Michael Sweet (STRYPER): "My heart, thoughts and prayers go out to the family and friends of Jani Lane. Had the pleasure of meeting him on 'That Metal Show' and he was a great guy."

Steven Adler (GUNS N' ROSES, ADLER'S APPETITE): "Jane Lane, you were a great talent. The world will miss you. R.I.P. my brother."

Glenn Hughes (DEEP PURPLE, BLACK COUNTRY COMMUNION, BLACK SABBATH): "[Rest in peace] Jani Lane... another one lost."

Mark Slaughter (SLAUGHTER): "Fly to the angels, Jani. RIP my friend."

In February, Lane canceled all of his previously announced solo tour dates two days before the first show was due to take place. No explanation was offered for the cancelation.

WARRANT announced in September 2008 that it was splitting with Lane six months after the band reunited with the troubled vocalist. He has since been replaced by Robert Mason (LYNCH MOB, CRY OF LOVE, BIG COCK).

Lane originally left WARRANT in March 1993 but rejoined the band in September 1994. The group went on to record the "Ultraphobic" (1995), "Belly To Belly" (1996) and "Greatest & Latest" (1999) albums and issued and collection of covers, "Under The Influence", in 2001. Jani quit WARRANT again in 2004 before reuniting with the group four years later.

Lane released a solo album, "Back Down to One", in 2003, but shortly after was admitted to a rehab center for alcohol and drug-related exhaustion. He also appeared on VH1's reality series "Celebrity Fit Club".

On July 19, 2010, Lane pled no contest to DUI stemming from his arrest two months earlier — and was ordered to serve 120 days in jail. In addition, Lane lost his license for three years and had to complete a 30-month alcohol-education program.

Prior to serving time in jail for his most recent legal troubles, Lane issued a statement in which he said, in part, "My true hope is that anyone out there dealing with personal problems... the consequences do not get lighter. I can only say I've never regretted a good decision or action and never been proud of bad ones. People have an astounding ability to forgive... I have to start with forgiving myself. That is something that I find far more difficult than I imagined. I think it starts with gratitude."

In a June 2010 interview, Lane spoke about his battle with alcoholism and the negative impact it has had on his career.

"The last year, I've suffered some consequences from drinking that I've never suffered in my entire life," he said. "It's really made me take a step back and go, 'Is this how you want to continue? Is this how you want to finish up?' The answer is no."

He continued, "I'll tell you, one day you think that this is absolutely normal, this is expected, 'This has been my lifestyle for 20 years, what's the problem?' And, all of a sudden, things take a turn, and you go, 'I don't like these consequences. I don't like how this affects my family, I don't like how this affects my career, I don't like how this affects anything.' Then you begin to work."

When asked if his treatment involved going to a rehab, Lane replied, "I have gone to rehabilitation, absolutely. I know some people who want to be quiet about that kind of stuff, but I am not the kind of person who pride is going to win out over saying, 'Hey, I'm honestly getting this in check and fixing this.' It is a very important thing to me. I mean, this just doesn't affect me like it used to. It affects everything in my life, including the people I love. To be honest, I get tired of giving ammo to the people who don't wish me well."
Commander in chief - VVF Army
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

He could sing that's for sure!
Promises made, crying in vain, all empty. Never accepting the blame and not letting go of the shame. A river of tears, as months turn to years, all wasted. On someone not willing to change.Now only a shadow remains! :(
warmachine:D

Post by warmachine:D »

Very, very sad :(
He was such a great singer.
1SG of the VVFF Army
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

Lane was an Ohio boy. I have a few memories of being around him. Being pulled up on stage during a Thanksgiving break (early 1990's) at the Akron Agora to sing "Sin City" with him and my friend John.

Warrant was on the Poison Tour that I was on in 2001. I didn't hang with Jani much but hung out with another Ohio boy who was playing guitar for Warrant at the time , Billy Morris. (Jani even shared recipes and cooked at Billy's night club(HI/FI) and was teased mercilessly for doing something he loved by a lot of people .The food was exceptional. Especially these little apple turnovers he made !!!)
Lane was "sneaking" drinks during these 2001 shows. I remember Erik Turner sniffing one of Lane's cups at a show . The look of disappointment in his eyes was horrible to witness.

Not long after that tour, Warrant played in Youngstown. I was hanging with his tech named Chris in Lane's room back at the Red Roof Inn. Lane was showing us the things he bought for his daughter's at Target Department store earlier that day. Almost in the same breath, he asked if anyone had a bump(cocaine). I replied that he didn't need that stuff and he didn't say a word. It blew my mind how I could see the love for his daughters in his eyes , YET, he would do something so destructive to himself.

Now his children are left without the chance of having a daddy. That breaks my heart more than anything.
It is amazing what TORTURES some when a lot of people would love to have the OPPORTUNITY that these "tortured souls" had.

Lane had heart and great talent. He chose his path. May GOD Bless and watch over his family. R.I.P.
THINK: Porter Wagoner

:wink: I am the Undisputed Sex Symbol of the VVFF
NEWBEGINNINGS
Brooklyn_Born

Post by Brooklyn_Born »

Very sad loss, I loved warrant in the early 90's, it's a tragedy when someone can't choose to be with their family and they are taken too early... Another Rocker off to the big gig in the sky...
Hey man, I am cool, I am the Breeze...

VVFF Rocks Hard!!!
This is not a Hate Forum Vinnie...Capisce!!?
Brooklyn has almost left the Building

Post by 727 »

met him too.
Skwint

Post by Skwint »

if only he could have beaten the booze.

sad loss.
Cruisin' downtown, Shakin' her love, Is that babe talkin' to me, Felt my heart drop, Women can't stop, Girl has got me on my knees, Baby baby babe don't make me wonder, Won't you let me in, She said - see you later, Shot down, I'll be back again
erg2

Post by erg2 »

I've always had a soft spot for Warrant. They suffered from being SO associated with the hair metal movement. (An honor they reveled in at the time and profited greatly and looks like they had a GREAT time.)
However, they also became one of the poster-groups for why the movement got out of hand and needed it's ass kicked; over the top outfits, cheesy song and big mouths.

The world missed out on the fact that these guys were very good players and Jani was a surprisingly strong lyricist because they couldn't/wouldn't see past Cherry Pie.
Open your window and see the real world
To know what you've been missing
Come out of the shadows
Insecurity lies
In a heart afraid to listen
ozone73

Post by ozone73 »

Watching Metal Mania on VH-1 Classic this morning and they played 4 Warrant videos in a row -
-Cherry Pie
-Heaven
-I Saw Red
-Sometimes She Cries

Not to get off topic or anything ... but has anyone here heard the "rumor" that Joey Allen and Erik Turner didn't play on the first two Warrant albums? I first read about it on Wikipedia. I guess that was the reason the producer for Dog Eat Dog Michael Wagener wrote in the liner notes that- "No artist, except those listed, performed on this album in any capacity whatsoever."

I only saw Warrant once. It was a while back when they played with Quiet Riot, Slaughter, and Firehouse. It was an outdoor show and only $10. Sucks I never got to see Warrant more than that (especially since they are one of my favorite bands) but I'm grateful I did see them that one time.
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

Those rumors are pretty much true. They may have strummed a bit but others played the solos.
THINK: Porter Wagoner

:wink: I am the Undisputed Sex Symbol of the VVFF
NEWBEGINNINGS
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

I thought that rumour started because their guitar teacher was present when they did the first album to help them out with ideas for the solos, not to actually play them.
Promises made, crying in vain, all empty. Never accepting the blame and not letting go of the shame. A river of tears, as months turn to years, all wasted. On someone not willing to change.Now only a shadow remains! :(
Cernex

Post by Cernex »

R.I.P Jani, and don't worry, for most of us you're NOT only the "Sweet Cherry Pie guy". You had a great voice, and hope you continue to rock out wherever you are.
Space Galleon Javelin - My space opera web serial. It's free! And complete! Go check it out.
Follow me on Twitter
My Amazon Author page, for if you want to check my fiction and stuff.
birnie

Post by birnie »

It's a shame he thought that cause it's only really the non-warrant fans that would think that.
(and when i say non-warrant fans, i don't mean haters, just peeps who don't know them well)
Like non-kiss people would think Kiss are only good for I Was Made For Loving You.
Fans of Warrant who actually own CD's wouldn't think that.