GJ2 Glendora NLT

Non Vinnie discussion
n3p

GJ2 Glendora NLT

Post by n3p »

Been offered one of these. It is the one from NAMM 2013, built by Grover (red with a single bucker). Seller is too far away for me to test but the price is nice.

anybody here played one? Penny for your thoughts?

Nick
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
Genebaby
Site Admin

Re: GJ2 Glendora NLT

Post by Genebaby »

They have a few of these at my local music stores and they are not selling, they can't offload them, they have them on Ebay a few times too.

Two of them for some strange reason have old Fender trems, which my friend down there says was not a great idea as an option.

Their main problem here is price and name recognition. They cost too much $$$ and most people aren't interested. I'm not interested. I haven't looked into what they cost in other parts of the world and what I could therefore get one myself for, as I am really trying to not buy any more guitars ha ha.

That said, I did play the Floyded ones, at least the white one from memory and it just didn't do it for me. A lot of that is probably in the setup, I would dislike a lot of guitars in a shop based on their setup there, I would need to buy it and then tweak the crap out of it to get the neck straight and the action low.

One interesting thing, and you can see this in a photo on their auction, was that the nut on the white one was not in centered correctly, it was too far over the bass side. Reminded me of one of the GMW problems I had.

I have them on my Facebook and a lot of their guitars look just amazing, and technically I want them all, but I probably won't get one unless it was less than a third of what they are asking. That's how I eventually got my Koa San Dimas I, after many years on the shop floor the price was too good to ignore and I bought my first bolt-on guitar. This sort of thing could happen again with one of these.

Looking on the web quickly I found what would be the guitar in question.

This one doesn't float my boat, but at the right price I would probably buy anything, even as I drown in guitars and cases, ha ha.
Commander in chief - VVF Army
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Looks like the finish is called Red Velvet.

shramiac

Post by shramiac »

Honestly, I really don't think Grover is going to sell many. He'll have to outsource to an Asian manufacturer to get the price down and that won't happen. Hard to compete against the Name Brand you started.

Geez, you can buy an Indian made Jackson Adrian Smith SDX for about $500 and with a bit of a tweak, turn it into a "player" by all the reviews I've read.
Promises made, crying in vain, all empty. Never accepting the blame and not letting go of the shame. A river of tears, as months turn to years, all wasted. On someone not willing to change.Now only a shadow remains! :(
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

That Jackson Adrian Smith model is a GREAT deal !!!!
THINK: Porter Wagoner

:wink: I am the Undisputed Sex Symbol of the VVFF
NEWBEGINNINGS
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

poserboy71 wrote:That Jackson Adrian Smith model is a GREAT deal !!!!
BAM!

And that's the poserboy's stamp of approval! :)
Promises made, crying in vain, all empty. Never accepting the blame and not letting go of the shame. A river of tears, as months turn to years, all wasted. On someone not willing to change.Now only a shadow remains! :(
n3p

Post by n3p »

Thanks for all the replies gents, and apologies that it's taken me a while to get back to you - real life got in the way :(

Vic, that it the exact guitar! I decided in the end not to go for it though. I think just the appeal of owning a GJ2 outweighed me actually wanting a red strat with a rosewood board (something I'd never buy anyway).

I did actually end up buying another guitar though, but I'll make a thread once it arrives. I reckon Shram will like it ;) . Cost far too much, but it's another rare'un! Will keep you guys posted.

Nick

Edited to add: Unfortunately it's not the Jackson VVV!
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Nice Nick, I look forward to seeing the thread about your new Ibanez!
n3p

Post by n3p »

Haha, it could very well be an Ibanez! ;)
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

Why is volume control in weird place? I dont get a handmade usa guitar made with basswood.
Bye Bye
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

A lot of top players select basswood for their guitars. EVH for instance. Strange, but they seem to like it.

I remember looking into the Fernandes Rhoads replica they used to do (Kreator and Helloween had one back in the day) and I was like, what the heck is poplar. Then I found out many Jackson roads were made from poplar, plus other guitars. Fernandes were just staying with the same wood already used.

I was new to guitars and hadn't heard of it before, I thought it was some kind of mystery wood.
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

Basswood is light and very consistent in quality. It's a bright sounding timber as well. A maple top on them would make a great pairing. Which is what some manufacturers are now doing. The new Guthrie Govan Charvel is like this, some of the Petrucci Musicmans are and so is the Premium range from Ibanez.

I'm gonna go that Nick bought a US Adrian Smith or a Dave Murray Fender!
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

doublev2 wrote:Why is volume control in weird place? I dont get a handmade usa guitar made with basswood.
Yes indeed a stupid place.
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

Thanks. Yeah I know basswood and poplar can sound good but I just would expect something else from grover but hey he knows better than me
Bye Bye
n3p

Post by n3p »

shramiac wrote:
I'm gonna go that Nick bought a US Adrian Smith or a Dave Murray Fender!
Nope ;)
metatron

Post by metatron »

Those GJ2's are NOT giving me a hard on. FUCK'en scratch plate shit!!! I hate those things. I'm sure they are great guitars to play, they just look pedestrian & boring. If I'm going to get one of those, I may as well get a Fender Strat, with a humbucker & Floyd.
Only guitar that can get away with a Scratch plate is a Jem.

There were tonnes of Strat type guitars with humbuckers & Floyds in the 80's. Gj2 is nothing new.

I got Jesus in my fax machine. I saw Ho Chi Minh down @ Burger King. I dated Vinnie Vincent as a Drag Queen. I still don't understand a f**kin' thing.
I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass and I'm all out of bubble gum.
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

Sad thing is most guys want same old shit. I kind of like fender with slanted humbucker though.
Bye Bye
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

Love myself some Strats but I either own or have tried nearly everything else. Strats are ideally designed
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

Always liked Dave Murray's strats but other than Yngwie's red Floyded strat from his first vid they're meh to me!
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

Ok you sold the strat to me.

I had the yngwie strat in 89 for a while. Loved the half notes you can get from scalloped board.
Bye Bye
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

Scallops rock!
metatron

Post by metatron »

Slayer wrote:Love myself some Strats but I either own or have tried nearly everything else. Strats are ideally designed
Super Strats I LOVE!!!!
All round Best Guitars to play.
I got Jesus in my fax machine. I saw Ho Chi Minh down @ Burger King. I dated Vinnie Vincent as a Drag Queen. I still don't understand a f**kin' thing.
I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass and I'm all out of bubble gum.
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

I hear a song coming on
Bye Bye
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

doublev2 wrote:Ok you sold the strat to me.

I had the yngwie strat in 89 for a while. Loved the half notes you can get from scalloped board.
I HAVE TO SEE WHAT'S LEFT !!!! 8) 8) 8) 8)
THINK: Porter Wagoner

:wink: I am the Undisputed Sex Symbol of the VVFF
NEWBEGINNINGS