Laughter is the best medicine

Non Vinnie discussion
KissMyAss

Laughter is the best medicine

Post by KissMyAss »

Laughter Is The Best Medicine
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 200913.htm

ScienceDaily (Jan. 24, 2008) — Laughter is the best medicine. We’ve heard the expression time and again. For decades, researchers have explored how humor helps patients relieve stress and heal. Melissa B. Wanzer, EdD, professor of communication studies at Canisius College in Buffalo, NY, has taken it one step further, with her research on how humor helps medical professionals cope with their difficult jobs. She also looked at how humor affects the elderly and how it can increase communication in the workplace and in the classroom.
See Also:
Health & Medicine

Workplace Health
Healthy Aging
Teen Health

Mind & Brain

Relationships
Social Psychology
Educational Psychology

Reference

Memory bias
Laughter
Vitreous humour
Glaucoma

She wondered, how do health care providers care for terminally ill people and manage to come back to work each day? So she asked them, in large-scale studies. Their answer? Humor. Wanzer has found humor to be beneficial in other areas as well.

“If employees view their managers as humor-oriented, they also view them as more effective,” notes Wanzer. “Employees also reported higher job satisfaction when they worked for someone who was more humor-oriented and used humor effectively and appropriately.” Wanzer and her colleagues found that humor is an effective way to cope with on-the-job stress – again, when used appropriately.

Wanzer also recently collaborated on research that found aging adults who used humor more frequently reported greater coping efficacy, which led to greater life satisfaction. This was the third study she conducted, with three different populations, where the conclusion was the same.

But what if you don’t consider yourself to be particularly funny? Wanzer says that while you can’t change your personality, you can find ways to integrate humor into your day-to-day life and change your communication patterns.

“Self-disparaging humor, making fun of oneself, is a very effective form of humor communication, as long as it is not done excessively,” says Wanzer, who adds that telling jokes is just a small portion of humor communication.

“I also tell people to use what is around them; ‘props can be humorous too, so long as they are used appropriately and are not perceived as distracting.”

Wanzer teaches a course in “Constructive Uses of Humor,” at Canisius College, which always fills to capacity. Students are required to prepare and perform a stand-up routine in front of the class. But the class is not all fun and games. Students read through journal articles and interpret factual studies on humor. One such case involves Southwest Airlines’ strategic effort to integrate humor into the workplace, in order to create a positive environment for employees and customers.

Wanzer’s research also shows that students report learning more from teachers who use humor effectively.

“Regardless of the content, humor seems to be beneficial and productive,” says Wanzer about the importance of the constructive uses of humor. “It helps to get the point across in about in almost any situation.”

Wanzer’s findings have been published in multiple journals, including Communication Quarterly, Communication Research Reports, Communication Education, Health Communication and Journal of Health Communication
Live life as though it is the third law; "to every action there is an equal and opposite reaction." Rules apply whether we are cognizant of them or oblivious.
shramiac

Re: Laughter is the best medicine

Post by shramiac »

You're funny!!! :P :P :P
Promises made, crying in vain, all empty. Never accepting the blame and not letting go of the shame. A river of tears, as months turn to years, all wasted. On someone not willing to change.Now only a shadow remains! :(
KissMyAss

Post by KissMyAss »

Funnier than free lobotomies at an insane asylum. :lol:
Live life as though it is the third law; "to every action there is an equal and opposite reaction." Rules apply whether we are cognizant of them or oblivious.
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

I had a lobotomy once. Then I got fit!!!

Budum buh chisssssshhhhhh!
Promises made, crying in vain, all empty. Never accepting the blame and not letting go of the shame. A river of tears, as months turn to years, all wasted. On someone not willing to change.Now only a shadow remains! :(
KissMyAss

Post by KissMyAss »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

Laughter and masturbation is the best medicine.My penis is so small it is hysterical. Laughter is contagious.
If you wanna live a long and healthy life, let's have a circle jerk.
THINK: Porter Wagoner

:wink: I am the Undisputed Sex Symbol of the VVFF
NEWBEGINNINGS
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

oh boy.
Bye Bye
ankh

Post by ankh »

“Men are apt to be much more influenced by words than by the actual facts of the surrounding reality.” I.Pavlov

MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL:
http://www.youtube.com/user/mesolimbicn ... sults_main

Lemmy: "Can you hear this horrible sound coming out of my monitors?"
Monitor guy: "No."
Lemmy: "Neither can I.Turn me up!"
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

Hung like a light switch :-)
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

Slayer wrote:Hung like a light switch :-)
But I can still be turned on. :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

NEWBEGINNINGS
ankh

Post by ankh »

just add electricity :shock:

[youtube][/youtube]
“Men are apt to be much more influenced by words than by the actual facts of the surrounding reality.” I.Pavlov

MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL:
http://www.youtube.com/user/mesolimbicn ... sults_main

Lemmy: "Can you hear this horrible sound coming out of my monitors?"
Monitor guy: "No."
Lemmy: "Neither can I.Turn me up!"
KissMyAss

Post by KissMyAss »

While laughing you're giving your abdomen and diaphragm a workout, and increasing the airflow through your respiratory system.

[youtube][/youtube]
MatthewF

Post by MatthewF »

Is this message board the reason why I have an irrational fear of taking a shower?

Don't drop the soap!
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

Go Bill Hicks go :-)
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

[youtube][/youtube]
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

[youtube][/youtube]
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

www.thepooter.com

[youtube][/youtube]
[youtube][/youtube]

NEWBEGINNINGS
KissMyAss

Post by KissMyAss »

MatthewF wrote:Is this message board the reason why I have an irrational fear of taking a shower?

Don't drop the soap!
Is it? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

Ok, I'll admit that I enjoy adolescent humor. I watched all 9 minutes of the farting and laughed so hard that I had tears running down my face. Thanks for that :-)

I especially enjoyed the farting in the store segment :-)
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

Kev, I had to subscribe to the guy. Everyone of those videos has great moments !!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

NEWBEGINNINGS
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

poserboy71 wrote:Kev, I had to subscribe to the guy. Everyone of those videos has great moments !!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Great minds think alike R.E.S. :-)
MatthewF

Post by MatthewF »

KissMyAss wrote:
MatthewF wrote:Is this message board the reason why I have an irrational fear of taking a shower?

Don't drop the soap!
Don't back up KMA is right behind you.
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

As long as there's a strap-on... :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

NEWBEGINNINGS
KissMyAss

Post by KissMyAss »

MatthewF wrote:
KissMyAss wrote:

Don't drop the soap!
Don't back up KMA is right behind you.
Don't mess with women. Women can spank wet ass. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: